Gunco Forums banner

MG47ES Belt feed

38K views 228 replies 62 participants last post by  BlackFetus 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is the first pictures of my MG47ES belt feed. It is convertable from gripstick and butt stock to spade grips in about 1 min. All FCG is inside the receiver. Still need to fit an upper hand guard.

Attachments

See less See more
#55 ·
WOOOOO HOOOOOO! I SEE PICS!

<premature post before reading>

ETA: Where did U get that Buttstock!?!? I've been looking for a while now for a decent FN style stock like that!!!

Also, that's a SWEEEEEEEET rear sight aperture/ladder setup!!! What gun is that from???

Cool pics of the FCG Tray! That's a pretty ingenious design format. I don't plan on making spade grips for mine, so I might do my FCG similar to your first MG-47 style (on the fence about that).

What I'm ***REALLY*** excited to see pics of is... Your BOLT CARRIER GROUP & RECOIL SPRING SETUP! That looks like a REALLY COOL, and REALLY Complicated bolt carrier setup!!!

How does that all fit together??? I'm eagerly awaiting your great tutorial!!!! I hope it's heavily loaded with pics!!!

#60 ·
SHARPSHOOTER5090,

Your latest creation looks pretty damn good! I'm soon to be obtaining a "different" TC and FT system to use for my build, that will be based on a Yugo M70 front end, telescoping dual recoil springs w/adjustable location feed lever actuating pin [a bearing to reduce friction], non recipricating charging handle, and like you, the FCG will be within the receiver in a drop-in module. I'll be TIG'n where I can and screw'n everywhere else, though I haven't quite decided if I'm going with square tubing, sheet metal, or a combination of both. We'll see when my parts arrive and I give it all some more thought.

I'd like to thank you and cntrailrider for sharing your unique abilities and ideas, which, for the past few months, have given me much to think about and ponder. I think smoke came out of my ear last week, LOL.

Cheers, please keep up the good work, and please post more pics when you can.

Andy =8^)-~

#61 · (Edited)
I'm dying to find out some more info & pics!

What's the width of the receiver? Length??? (It looks more compact than the original)

How did you do the bolt carrier mods & feed lever pin, & recoil springs???

The more I look at this one, the more ingenious ideas I see incorporated in this design!

You, Sir, have won the title of 'Homebuilder of the Year' for two years running now in my mind! SWEEEEEEEEET gun!!!

-inuhbad

EDITED TO ADD:

Also, Does the Bolt Carrier modifications require you to use BOTH 'rails' created by using the shelving steel, or is the 2nd 'rail' part basically functionless?

#68 ·
Sharpsshooter,

Thanks for the info on the grip stick! For now it sounds like all I need to purchase is the MG1 or MG3 Top cover and feed tray, correct? (I already have the M70 front end and the belts) Is there any advantage to the MG3? I see it is more expensive.

Thanks,

JJS

#69 ·
MG-3 is actually a little more difficult to get cycling smoothly. The springs are newer, more stiff, and it also has a lower 'pawl' lever on the feed tray that is to keep cartridges/belts from sliding back out of the feed tray (which is a little on the 'strong' side in that his has a fair bit of resistance when pushing it down)...

SO, it'd likely be easier to get a MG-1 assembly to operate more smoothly. I chose the MG-3 for two reasons...
1. I hope to reduce the amount of pressure/resistance and 'binding' on the lower feed pawl in the feed tray, as I find it does a VERY GOOD job of holding belts in place (would be good for feed tray testing).
2. Robert RTG Parts was out of stock on MG-1 topcovers and feed trays, and I didn't want to have to wait for him to get more in stock, or miss out on this kind of build.

#73 ·
Every thing on the barrel is as it comes from the factory including the front trunnion (except the front sight) and is installed onto the receiver upside down. (trunnion, barrel, gas block, piston, gas tube, rear sight, upper and lower hand guards and retainer are all inverted). The front sight is install pointing up when everything else is pointing down. Rear sight is pointing down and is removed. A new rear sight arrangement is installed on the top cover or off of the back of the receiver. MG47 uses a K98 rear sight on the top cover and the ES version uses a SLME jungle carbine rear sight mounted on the rear receiver bridge.

SS

SS

#75 ·
Some have used MG-42 style stocks, and the Length of Pull depends upon several important contributing factors.
1.) Receiver Length - which somewhat depends upon...
2.) Bolt Carrier Extension Length - which somewhat depends upon...
3.) Fire Control Group Location & Modifications - which somewhat depends upon...

Really, the Length of Pull is going to vary depending upon how you build other areas of this weapon as nearly everything is interrelated to one another...

SharpsShooter, Quick Question... My Trunion is 1.450" wide, and I can't get my bolt carrier rails cut down thin enough for it to fit into the receiver on the rail (like an AK build)...

Do you think I should just cut the rails short, and align the trunion as best I can within the receiver (without being on the rails), measure to ensure it's perfectly straight, and then lock it into place? Or do you think I should create some extremely thin sheet metal shims with a slightly bent 'rail' to further help align the trunion? I'm not sure I need to have it on rails when bolting it to the receiver, but what did you do?

This RPK-47 kit is REALLY messy and I've got to take more time cleaning the cosmoline off it, but it's in BEAUTIFUL shape! It's not a bulged trunion, but this sucker is WIDE! Wider than my other AK trunions are...

#82 ·
Some have used MG-42 style stocks, and the Length of Pull depends upon several important contributing factors.
1.) Receiver Length - which somewhat depends upon...
2.) Bolt Carrier Extension Length - which somewhat depends upon...
3.) Fire Control Group Location & Modifications - which somewhat depends upon...

Really, the Length of Pull is going to vary depending upon how you build other areas of this weapon as nearly everything is interrelated to one another...
Thanks for the incredibly politician-like answer that isn't really an answer, but I should have specified that being this is the ES thread, I was referring directly to the LOP on the MG-47ES. ;)
'
Sharpshooter, what is the LOP on the MG-47ES?

#76 ·
iNuhBaD
On the ES I just cut the rails short but left a very small projection on the upper rail surface that just fit into the BC slot about 1/8" to assure that they lined up. I then adjusted the rear of the rail so it lied parallel to the top of the receiver. Shim the sides of the trunnion as required to fit snug between the inside of the receiver. Assuming that the inside dimension of your receiver is 1 1/2", use .025" thick shim on each side.

SS

#77 ·
AWESOME! Thanks for the advice... That's a good idea to leave part of the rail on for fit (but cut down). With that, I can align the other end of the trunion, clamp it in place with the shims, and then it'll be good to go!

I thought about doing what someone else mentioned and have the Ejector attached to the bottom of the feed tray, but when looking at things, I decided against this. With the lower 'J' area of the bolt carrier that holds the bolt centered - when dropping the feed tray straight down on top of the closed bolt/carrier, the ejector may not seat properly / deeply into the groove in the bolt, and may not eject right. I suppose I could ensure I have the bolt locked back when lifting the feed tray up to clear any malfunctions, but who wants to putz around with that headache? Not me.

I'll just attach the ejector to the right side plate. Any particular sheet steel you used for your ejector? Or just typical sheet steel of the usual thickness (and then hardened with a blow torch)???

I've got a looooooong way to go though!

#78 ·
The ejector need to be made out of at least 4130 or 4140. Steel with less than .03% carbon will not harden by just heat and quench. It must be case hardened. Just heating a piece of sheet you would by at Home Depot is most likely 1018/1020 or .018% to .02% carbon max and will not harden. Use an standard AK ejector, turn it upside down and mount it on the right side above the BC guide rail.

SS

#79 ·
I don't know if a normal AK ejector will extend deep enough into the bolt / bolt face to eject rounds reliably... Could I buy an AK flat and cut the ejector rail shape out, bend it, attach it, and harden it (to make sure it'll reach all the way over into the ejector channel)? AK flats are made of 4130 or 4140, right? Just curious... Perhaps I'll just order a piece of 4140 or 4130 angle steel thin enough to fit the channel and extends far enough...

Or else I can buy a thicker piece and mill/grind it thin enough to fit, and harden it...

Thanks for the heads-up on that!

-inuhbad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.