Gunco Forums banner

A few AK Builds

56K views 258 replies 97 participants last post by  Tommo 
#1 · (Edited)
Polytech Legend finally acquired

Vector Arms AKM Heavy Barrel
Looks like they used a Russian type 3 barrel assembly with the threads turned down and pressed into an East German trunnion. Magpul stock, Vltor tube, CTR grip, Krebs rail, Primary Weapons flash hider, G2 FCG, Ncstar compact mildot 3x9 illuminated reticle. It is my plate gun.

1958 Projectguns built Polish RPD

Very early original Norinco Type 56-S3

Clayco Green Bakelite

1977 Izzy Matching # AKMS

1973 Tula with Zrecto furniture

1970 Izzy with Zrecto furniture

1997 Yugo M90A

1983 Yugo M70AB2

Yugo M70 Milled

Bulgy AK74

Bulgy AK74s

1970 Romy MD63

Hungarian AMMS

Polytech AK47S Triple Underfolder

Norinco 86S

Norinco 84S2 clone

Arsenal SA93 I didn't build it, but I like it.

Updated SA93 with replacement gas block, FSB, and cleaning rod. Still need to thread the muzzle and install the lower tang.

New Updates SA93
Bulgy Type 3 gas block and FSB. Kvar lower stock tang -- not as good as a factory original piece as only one rivet can be mounted inside the receiver instead of two, but it does the job. Roughed out the rear receiver, then hand filed the lower tang recess over a few afternoons. Z-recto magic'ed Polish laminate.

Yugo M70B1

1963 Romy

1981 Romy Pistol

1980 Romy Non-G

1981S Romy G

1983 Romy G

1983 Polish PMKM

1973 Polish PMKMS

Maadi MISR, I didn't build it, but it's nice. Steyr Maadi 30 round mag.

Maadi MISR S/A. Z-recto refinished original Egyptian wood. Steyr buttstock.

Bulgy AK74S

Polish Tantal

1981 Romy G

1971 Romy RPK

Yugo M72 RPK

Maadi RPM Curly maple furniture. Yes, I had a bling phase. 100 rounder

]
Norinco NHM91 with PKM style stock

Bulgy RPK74

Romy SAR2

Romy SAR3

Romy SAR3 #2

1978 Romy G First build

Hungarian AMD63 #1

Hungarian AMD63 #5

Hungarian AMD65

1979 E.German

Saiga 12 conversion

Saiga 20

Yugo M92

Just finished my Bulgy Krinkov AKS74U

SA85M with AMD65 short gas tube. I couldn't find my kit and broke down and bought the rifle. I still need to find the correct stock and grip...it bugs me.

SA85 build. Thanks to notime for alerting me as to the kit's availability.

I just purchased a VZ58 and I love it!

Type 56 Clone

Norinco NHM90

Saiga 12 #2

Saiga 410

Starting back up:
1981 Romanian G matching numbers

Norinco Hunter
Custom walnut stock (valmet style). Still working on the forearm

ISD Bulgarian SSR85C2 5.45

Arsenal SA M7 Classic

1983 Romanian G Matching numbers

Restoring a SAR2 to AIMS74

1982 Romanian G non matching

1982 Romanian G matching numbers

TGI AMD65
Stock upgrade makes this very shootable

Valmet M62/S
Restored stock cover

Arsenal SLR 107 CR

Vepr 12

See less See more
#64 ·
They better pack a lunch.
Stand with a demonstration of strength, so they will know
the 2nd is alive. Citizens duty to keep the gov in check.

Any US administration is far too yellow to go gun collecting,
they will bluff their way, coerce and prod with their shining
propaganda machines.

#65 · (Edited)
Still trying to find my amp69 kit and save up for a Polytech Legend. I really like that Bulgy Krink too and the barrel extension is awesome. The extension came with the kit along with a G2 fcg but had the incorrect trigger guard -- all for $650 shipped.

#67 · (Edited)
I can't seem to brake 50 ak's. I float in the mid 40's but 50 seems to be some kind of personal cap.

1977 Izzy Matching # AKMS

1973 Tula with Zrecto furniture

1970 Izzy with Zrecto furniture

1997 Yugo M90A

1983 Yugo M70AB2

Yugo M70 Milled

Bulgy AK74

Bulgy AK74s

1970 Romy MD63

Hungarian AMMS

Norinco 86S

Norinco 84S2 clone

Arsenal SA93 I didn't build it, but I like it.

Updated SA93 with replacement gas block, FSB, and cleaning rod. Still need to thread the muzzle and install the lower tang.

Yugo M70B1

1963 Romy

1981 Romy Pistol

1980 Romy Non-G

1983 Polish PMKM

1973 Polish PMKMS

Maadi MISR, I didn't build it, but it's nice. Steyr Maadi 30 round mag.

Bulgy AK74S

Polish Tantal

1981 Romy G

1971 Romy RPK

Yugo M72 RPK

Maadi RPM Curly maple furniture. Yes, I had a bling phase. 100 rounder

]
Norinco NHM91 with PKM style stock

Bulgy RPK74

Romy SAR2

Romy SAR3

Romy SAR3 #2

1978 Romy G First build

Hungarian AMD63 #1

Hungarian AMD63 #5

Hungarian AMD65

1979 E.German

Saiga 12 conversion

Saiga 20

Yugo M92

Just finished my Bulgy Krinkov

SA85M with AMD65 short gas tube. I couldn't find my kit and broke down and bought the rifle. I still need to find the correct stock and grip...it bugs me.

SA85 build. Thanks to notime for alerting me as to the kit's availability.

I just purchased a VZ58 and I love it!

Still waiting to be finished

Type 56 Clone

#69 ·
o.o

If anyone needs me, I'll be in my room changing my underwear...

- CK

#75 · (Edited)
you know i saw a lower handguard like on you tripple underfolder at the sar show a few years back. i thought someone was just having fun carving. it was in a pile of chinese handguards. i beleave the vendor said they were takeoffs from preban guns that were stuck in the ban. took them off and put on bishop stocks. oh and nice collection. :notworthy

later jay
I know! I would jump on that amp69 chopped for that asking price. I recently picked up a Saiga 410 to convert as well as this Preban Polytech AK74S:

#74 ·
It's shocking to even think of the money involved in reproducing this collection at today's prices. I can't even mention such a number within ear-shot of the wife. However, I am still looking for that amp-69 kit (missed the built gun on gunbroker for $850), a polytech legend with accessories, and a Valmet 78. I think back on all the ak variants I had or had the chance to purchase, and wish all of them either stayed in or joined the collection.

#73 · (Edited)
Recently found my SAR2 I've been missing from the collection at a local fun show. Of course, it didn't look anything like this when I bought it. AK-103.com US made 22mm Romy brake, correct fsb, G2 fcg, US piston, US floorplate, correct Romy 5.45 magazine body, correct push-button side folder.
Romy SAR2

#76 ·
I'm still trying to find out some history on this rifle. I tried emailing some pics to the polytech website requesting info, but didn't receive a response. I haven't gotten around to calling Keng's yet, though. I too saw one of these lower handguards at a show a while back. Since it is a Keng's import, I am wondering if the modfication was done when the rifles arrived at keng's or were modified before being imported. Interesting top rail too, even if it is a bit on the heavy side.

#77 ·
it looks factory to me. how does the bluing and milling look on the buttstock? the spots where it is notched for the bipod. also that scope rail. i have never seen one like it. maybe it was a concept demo gun or they were the next wave of rifles that were going to come in and they got caught in the ban. still a rare bird. yours is the first one i have seen.
later jay

#78 ·
I posted some pics of the rifle on theakforum and, as with anything, there were a couple of nay-sayers. However, suddenly, there were a couple of people who found similar Polytech rails at shows or "in their parts bin". The finish was always inferior to this one and the rear legs that straddle the rear of the receiver did not have the relief arc for the underfolder -- they were straight across. There is a pic of one under the chinese discussion forum over there and they guy wants to sell it, but he doesn't know how much it is worth. No one seems to know.
[url=http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=83580
[url=http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=80307&start=0

#79 ·
well i know polytechparts just sold off a bunch of stuff so maybe they had a few(scope mounts) left over and sold them lately. cause with all the gun shows i have been to over the years, i have never seen one in anyones parts bins.:frown:

i still say it looks factory.

as for a price for his scope mount. even as rare as it is i would not go over $100 for it. i just got a factory norinco hunter scope mount(very hard to find) for a good price $50.though i have seen them go for as much as $150. i still havent made up my mind if i will use it since i am converting the hunter to look like a valmet m71. its a work in progress. waiting on a grip right now. it is almost ready for paint.
later jay

Attachments

#81 · (Edited)
Just finished a type 56 clone with underfolding bayonet on a Mak90 receiver I managed to pick up. I'll have pics up tomorrow. It's going to be my steel plate gun. Still waiting on the polytech short rail the replaces the rear sight so I can mount my fastfire knock-off.

#123 · (Edited)
Doc..

Latest build: Type 56 clone. I forgot to pull the slabside mag and put in the correct Chinese mag for the pic.
Just wondering why you state that as a 56 clone?
Sure looks all 56 and darn tootin nice to me. :thumbup1:
When I got my 56-1s years ago I kept them as such and did not put the bayo lug on them.
This being cause in Dr. Ezells book he states the 56-1s do not have the bayo lug.
So I did not buy them when Global had a bunch of Chinese bayo lugs. Still remember the conversation. "How many do you want?" :bawling:

Edit.. Sorry. Meant too say the under folding bayo. lug.

Attachments

#93 ·
If I have everything in hand. It usually takes me about 4 hours. Lately though, I have been taking my time and stretching builds over 3 days with some individual parts getting painted and cured longer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.