Second Valmet clone
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Second Valmet clone

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Second Valmet clone

This was my first idea for a Valmet clone, although I conceived and finished an M-71 before production on this M-76 could be completed.

Anyway, it was finally finished, parked, and painted last week: M-76 Valmet in 7.62 X 39.

Regards to all,

E.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

Very nice. The steel tube stock would have been more authentic.

Welcome to the 21st century, things are going to be very different.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Looks good, solid build. Congrats! How does she shoot?

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

So is that the same thing - a Norinco hunter converted? Where did you get the barrel and parts?
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Damm I like that sights were they belong IMOA nice looking gun. What kind of $$$$$ did you get into it??

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie View Post
    So is that the same thing - a Norinco hunter converted? Where did you get the barrel and parts?
    Yep, that's exactly right: it started off life as a Norinco Hunter. I left the original bbl on the Hunter receiver, as it was the caliber I wanted and was already head-spaced.

The receiver cover (with rear sight), the flash hider and the pistol grip (and screw & nut) came from Vulcan Imports in B'ham. The buttstock came from Jeff's outfitters and the handguards were a gift from a friend! The trigger, gas tube, gas block, the last 2 inches of the receiver, and the front sight are all Galil parts that I've picked up here and there, and the trigger guard I made myself.

The rear handguard retainer I picked up from a fellow down in Cleveland, Tennessee, and the front retainer is made from an AR-15 handguard retainer.

After it was parkerized, I baked on a layer of GunKote. Man that's good stuff!

I'm no machinist or welder: I paid someone to add the Galil stub to the rear end of the Hunter receiver and to remove the original gas block and install the one from the Galil. He also re-positioned the trigger hole and created a round hole for the Valmet bolt to fit in as it connected with the nut in the pistol grip. (Of course, the whole time he was working on it, he thought what I was asking for was crazy.)

In addtion to his fee, I praised him as an "artist" for the fine work he did, but he refused to accept the title. "I'm just a plain old gunsmith that does a little machining."

You can be the judge of whether I was right or he was.

One advantage this has over an actual Valmet (apart from costing about one-fourth of what I'd have to pay for the original) is the way the buttstock attaches, because of the Galil stub. I can knock out the roll pin, and install a standard Galil folding stock as an option!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Bench test

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    Looks good, solid build. Congrats! How does she shoot?
    Out to the range this afternoon for a bench test. I neglected to bring a screw driver to drift the front sight and it was shooting a bit to the left. However, when I compensated with "Kentucky windage" it grouped very well.

Only tried it today at 50 yds. Next time I'll bring the screwdriver and take it out to 100.

Feed and function were flawless.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default yes and no

Quote Originally Posted by s70fan View Post
    Very nice. The steel tube stock would have been more authentic.

True: if I were going for an M-62 (of which yours is a great example), the tube would've been the way to go.

However, I didn't have an M-62 front-sight, or the early pistol grip, or the cheese-grater handguards (also most commonly found on the M-62).

On the other hand, Valmet produced the 7.62 X 39 caliber M-76 with both tube stocks and wooden stocks. I would say that either one is equally "authentic."

Yours is definitely a classic!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Another beautiful clone!!! You have to have both the skills and the imagination to pull these clones off so well.
    Gunco member #11

“it is dangerous to be right in matters about which the established authorities are wrong” Voltaire

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

You forgot the most important thing: deep down, I'm just a big ol' cheapskate!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.