I thought I'd share my highly modified SAR-3.
I wanted to have a 5.56x45 AK that was as short as possible.
I also wanted to be able to fold the stock without removing the optic.
-11 degree crown
-threaded 14x1 LH
-US made Yugo M-95 flash hider pinned and welded for 16.25 OAL.
-Chunk of Saiga FSB TIG welded to the gas block.
-Bayonet lug rebuilt
-Rear trunnion removed and extra hole filled
-AMD-65 stock installed
-Coated with flat black Norrels Molyresin
-Plum K-Var handguards and pistol grip
-RSA SAR-3 hammer and Tapco trigger and disconnector
One thing I should point out. The portion of the barrel in front of the FSB of a SAR-3 is too small a diameter to thread 14x1 LH. The portion that was threaded would normally be under the FSB.
i like the front end, good job!
"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams
Looks great! Good job!
If you want more gun control, use both hands.
how difficult was it to weld the front sight onto the gas block while keeping it aligned?
I like it. You did a great job on rebuilding that.
I still need to get a rear sling swivel on it. I'd like to put it somewhere other than the stock AMD-65 location because that gets in the way of putting the optic on. It isn't that big of deal, I could make it work but I think I've got a better idea. I'm making a little piece that will be welded to the rear on the left side of the amd trunnion. It will allow the swivel to rotate 90 degrees. It can lay flat to the left or be straight up. But it can't flop over to the right in a position that would interfere with the stock closing.
Also in the works is a drum. I took a 120 Norinco AR-15 drum and cut the AR feed tower off. I've got the top of a factory SAR-3 mag and need to weld it on after a bit more fitting. It's going to be about 107 round capacity. It is on the right. A 100 round 7.62x39 is on the left.
Glad to see you're going to get some use out of that drum. I've read they don't work very well in an AR, however I have zero problems with my 7.62 drum. An AK-style feed tower should work better IMO.
Gunco Member #10
The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
Aloxite, that's really cool. I am working on something very similar. Today I parked the receiver, riveted all parts to the receiver and parked it again. My build is from a cut-barrel AMD65 kit, rebuilt with a Romanian barrel on an NDS-65 receiver. I was contemplating installing a rail, but decided not to for now. The rail I was going to use would allow a scope mount to be slid on with the AMD swivel installed. Mine will be wearing poly furniture as yours is and I will have a windage adjustable AR-15 rear sight on the receiver cover. I have come up with a modification that allow the rear sight to hold zero on the receiver cover. I tested it today at the range on a Serbian M90 and it works. I have built all of my AKs as close to factory configuration as possible (and affordable). On this one I wanted to have some fun and just make it a more practical AK.