Ceramic coated AK project...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ceramic coated AK project...

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Default Ceramic coated AK project...

I got a friend to Ceramic coated one of my builds today.. it came out really nice... B2B

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Pics aren't to good, but I'm sure you know that. Looks good from the pics though, let us now how it holds up.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Yeah I know my digital camera is about 12 years old and it can't do close up's very well. also the lights in the shop is crap.. I'll try to get some shots of the paint outside in sun light for a better look... I think it will hold up good...B2B

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Do you live in Komiforinia? Is that why the PG is missing?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Post B2B

Looks great..
    My buddy did a few for me with the Ceramic. The key is in the stripping of all metal and "All" oil residue.
    Then he bakes at like 400 degs. for 3hrs or so.
    Is it as good as gunkote or park and bluing ?? Hell I don't know. But mine have stood up to all cleaning chemicals.
    Plus the old lady whipped one at me across the room and didnt put a ding in it.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Gunco Rookie ateballcornerpocket's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Did you purposely want the different wood coloration on your upper lower hand grips?

Not criticizing, but noticed the very "blonde" finish on the lower hand grip versus the deep, dark finish on the upper grip that looks like it matches your buttstock.
    Regards, Ateballcornerpocket
    "If You Don't Have The Cajones To Say It In Person, Then Don't Say It While Hiding Behind An Anonymous P.C.!"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Damn, I was hoping for something 'colorful' maybe silver... I am sure the ceramic will hold up well...

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

yeah it is Missing the P.G. and the blond front hand guard is because it is legal in that configuration.... I think ceramic coating is a good option if you have the oven big enough to fit the receiver in.. It was cleaned in a electro striping chemical bath.. prior to coating... A good finish if you have the tools to do it... B2B

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I got a guy here locally trying to get a ceramic/powder coating business going. he said he would do a gun for free if I would pass pics of it around for him to boost his business.
    I may just jump on it. I wonder, as hard as powder coating is supposed to dry, do you thijnk the selector would still scar it?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Can you tell us exactly what ceramic coating was used on your rifle? From what you are saying I'm going to guess that it was either a ceramic powder coat or Cerakote.

Cerakote is a ceramic enhanced coating that was developed for the firearms industry. It's very thin which is desirable in coating weapons since you don't want to interfere with any mechanical clearances.

Generic ceramic power coat on the other had was developed for high temperature applications, such as engine exhaust manifolds and mufflers. It's quite a bit thicker coating and I would imagine it would cause clearance issues if used in the wrong place on a weapon.

What I see looks more like Cerakote, but as others have noted the pictures leave a little to be desired.

Let us know exactly what was used if you don't mind. I'm thinking of using Cerakote on a project and I'd like to get some feedback from people who have used it.

Thanks,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.