Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First build EVER finished, Romy non-G

Gunco Member sooperdoopercootershooter's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Default First build EVER finished, Romy non-G

I just learned about the hobby at the end 0f '08 and bought a few kits as I watched the priuces rise DAILY. I hope they have platued so I can get a few more since this was SO much fun. My goal was to build one with as little tooling as possible just to se if it could be done. I built a bending jig from 4 inch chanel and 1 1/4 flat stock and lots of nuts and bolts. It worked much better than I thought. I bent up an old rusty Tapco flat that was warped and puddle welded the rail in place. The rails were hardened with Oxy/Acyt torches and the entire receiver was dunked into brake fluid which was set ablaze to temper the thing. The barrel was NOT removed so the rivets were ground down JSUT enough to peel the receicer stubs off and then filed round perpindicular to the trunion and inserted into the new receiver with extensive egging of the wrong placed holes and spot welded. I left the receiver unfinished as the black/blue damascus look is cool. I would love to have built this PROPERLY but I am not rich, not even employed now, and wanted something that MadMax would have strapped to his thigh opposite of that sawed off shotgun. Wait till I finish my AMD pistol, it will be with a HOME BREWED reciever from a plain sheet of steel and radically different shape with a slide in rail assembly with the trigger pin being the only FCG item fit THROUGH the receiver. Top cover will be heavily modified as well to match the receiver, I'll keep you posted. A 2XTM is also in the future as soon as I find all the pieces (already have the AK-74 bolt) and someone that will turn a barrel and bushing to fit the AK front trunion. Thanks for all the posts you guys have on the subject of building AKs, they and you were aninvaluable source of knowledge and inspiration!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Cool AK..I like the amd folding stock.I have one and Its going on my wasr-10.Thanks for the inspiration.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

They're like potato chips, you can't build just one. Congratulations on your first build, may it run long and shoot true!
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

tinkerer extraordinaire Mustangdude20's Avatar
    Feedback Score

very nice makes me even more excited to try my hand

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up Nice..

Great job bud..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Very nice build.
    Your in my Mind, and in my Sights

Feedback Score

nice build...good job!

Feedback Score

Nice build, congrats. It's addictive, I've got a 64 Romy I'm doing wright now in Battle Field PU style but after that I don't have and more kits to build or the $$$ to but one. I'm trying to get some friends to by kits just so I can build some more or I'll be selling one of my completed rifles to by another kit or two...

Gunco Member sooperdoopercootershooter's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by SKSSean View Post
    Nice build, congrats. It's addictive, I've got a 64 Romy I'm doing wright now in Battle Field PU style but after that I don't have and more kits to build or the $$$ to but one. I'm trying to get some friends to by kits just so I can build some more or I'll be selling one of my completed rifles to by another kit or two...
    I know what you mean. I am building an AMD-65 pistol now from a sheet of .040 4130 just to make it more difficult and tedious 'cause I only have one kit left after this one. I guess I could rebuild the SAR-1 with rivets and a better looking receiver, but that won't take long enough to satisify the craving. Maybe design a better folding stock that will allow for COMFORTABLE shooting in the folded position, Mmmmmmm, vz-58 folders look cool!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Post You guys can still do it.

Quote Originally Posted by SKSSean View Post
    Just with the nice weapon shown in this thread it shows the interchangeability of parts. There really is not that many parts too an AK..
    sgt.Ron just had some barrels for sale on the classified.
    Money is getting tight for all of us.
    You dont have to buy a kit all at once. Who cares about matching number kits.
    Buy a part here and there and before you know it you have enough for a complete weapon.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.