Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: SLOW BUT NOT SURE.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Nice Job 4th. Man I miss building AK's. Just when I was getting my rivit forming down, the damn kits dried up and the economy went south. Guess I'll try my hand at knitting. Hope string is still available.
    Bill from Spartanburg

Be like an old dog!!!! If you can't eat it or screw it, just piss on it and walk away!!!!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Rear rivets- Thanks Winn. Damn they are always tough. I usually screw them up. I have an old AGI punch that I use.
    What I do is old school. I slowly tap "hammer" them down to start the flattening process.
    Then a machinist friend, showed me to start forming a lip on the outer edges of the rivet so as not to overwork the punch. All with just a hammer now.
    Kinda looks like a mushroom at first. Then slowly, key slowly, tap and form the rivet with the punch.
    I have two rivet punches I got from AGI out of California. But anyone could easily make there own out of a socket handle. Just cut the handle and form the rivet hole on the end.
    Do not make the hole to big. Or you will bottom out on the receiver before the rivet is formed, causing a dent in your receiver.
    The new tool I got from AGI is too big. But luckily I have the old one for finish work.
    Any dings or malformation of the rivet can be carefully correct with patience and a small file.
    Those rear rivets make or break a good AK construction.
    I am not showing you guys my bad ones.
    Gator head- We have a lot of gator farms and processors around here.
    They sell the heads and gator meat. I hooked up with them and might be shipping them north.
    Head space- Oh God the head space on this one was hell. I had to ream out the barrel pin hole to get the "unmatched kit" even close to head spacing.
    Then I went in my junk box and found a barrel pin to fit.
    Back to the junk box and found a bolt that would give a "tight" but functional head space.
    I am sure with the proper tools, or a machine shop, the job would have been a lot easier.
    But hell, here at "Shade tree construction" we use what we have.
    She is head spaced, she goes bang. Another one for the stack.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score

[QUOTE=4thIDvet;546337] Paint remover "will" as advertised. Burn your skin.
    QUOTE]

Been there done that.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Came out nice 4th
    Thanks for the pics
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

all hail the shade tree builder!!!
    bless the almighty tree stump!!!

keep bangin them out 4th!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Nice job on it.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
    Rear rivets- Thanks Winn. Damn they are always tough. I usually screw them up. I have an old AGI punch that I use.
    What I do is old school. I slowly tap "hammer" them down to start the flattening process.
    Then a machinist friend, showed me to start forming a lip on the outer edges of the rivet so as not to overwork the punch. All with just a hammer now.
    Kinda looks like a mushroom at first. Then slowly, key slowly, tap and form the rivet with the punch.
    I have two rivet punches I got from AGI out of California. But anyone could easily make there own out of a socket handle. Just cut the handle and form the rivet hole on the end.
    Do not make the hole to big. Or you will bottom out on the receiver before the rivet is formed, causing a dent in your receiver.
    The new tool I got from AGI is too big. But luckily I have the old one for finish work.
    Any dings or malformation of the rivet can be carefully correct with patience and a small file.
    Those rear rivets make or break a good AK construction.
    4th -- If you'll grant your permission, I'd like to cut and paste and put this in the library. Or, if I may humbly request, if you would do a step by step how to on the process.

Rivet forming is an art. You sir, do it well.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Smile Yes Sir.

I would consider it an honor.
    Shade Tree AK Builders make Library on Gunco. Film at 11. Cool.
    I have kits in there left to build and I will put up a series of "pictures" on how I have been doing it.
    With the help of the big guys here I learned how to build. Thank you guys for answering all my stupid question.
    Pirate ProjectGuns has done work for me. There rivets were spot on perfect.
    Those darn rear rivets are always the toughest part of a build, in my opinion.
    But the key is going slow. Even with basic tools it can be done.
    Heading to my FFL to pick up some receivers today. Then off to Connecticut for 10 days.
    When I get back I will do a picture series of how we do it.
    Oh God I hope they come out good. I dont work good under pressure.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Thank you.

I sympathize. I don't work good under pressure either. But then again when there's no pressure I don't work at all!
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

That turned out nice
    SIC VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.