Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: SLOW BUT NOT SURE.

Feedback Score

I built 2 romy MD-63 pistols (9 1/2" barrels) a romy G and a AMD-65.The AMD was the the simplist and the romy G took 4 hours to headspace (in and out lightly file and lube alot LOL). I left all 4 of my Nodaks in my shed,and they rusted. Needless to say,,,,,,all my builds are "Battlefield pick up's" LOL.......

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default Rear Rivets with simple tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Winn R View Post
    4th -- If you'll grant your permission, I'd like to cut and paste and put this in the library. Or, if I may humbly request, if you would do a step by step how to on the process.

Rivet forming is an art. You sir, do it well.
    The rear rivets have always been the most difficult for me to do.
    Not the short ones but the dang blasted long ones.
    With simple tools and a hammer they can be formed pretty close to look passable.
    I start the process my gently tapping with a hammer. This starts the flattening and forming and compresses any space that may be in the trunion.
    Then my buddy showed me to start "gently" tapping the edges of the rivet too give it a downward edge.
    I got these tools from AGI gunsmithing. But anyone could make there own with an old ratchet handle.
    Any slight deformations can be fixed with a light sanding of the rivet.
    There are tools out there made specifically for the long rivets.
    But for the average home builder on a budget this gets you pretty close once finished.
    Make a cup for the bottom rivet to sit in so as not to deform it.
    I have the AK-Builder tool. But you can just make a cup out of a piece of metal stock.
    Is it a perfect rivet that would pass inspection at the factory. Well no.
    But done slowly and with patience and once the rifle is finished. It will get you close enough.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

looks good, 4th.

Start is to knock it down flat, is the height of the flat head the same as the top of the finished rivet?

Then work the edges down using the tool.

Thanks!
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Post No Winn..

I will get up better pictures tomorrow. Sorry about those blurry picts.
    I compress the rivet with the hammer. Then curl the edges. With a little sand paper it does come out better than my picts are showing.
    Not close too the builds I got from Pirate and crew and others. But I will try to get better picts. up tomorrow.
    Add: God this is harder to explain than I thought. Easy when your doing it.
    Just looked back at the picts. That is my Marine buddy "Khe-Sahn" survivor holding the weapon.
    Sorry I will try to get better picts up tomorrow.
    Last edited by 4thIDvet; 10-29-2009 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Add
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

looks good, 4th.

Start is to knock it down flat, is the height of the flat head the same as the top of the finished rivet?

Then work the edges down using the tool.

Thanks!
    Winn. No.. After tapping the rivet gently with the hammer to get it started. I then take a flat punch and use that too slowly curl the edges of the rivet.
    I ruined one of the tools as the straight rivet put a ding in the tool seen pictured after a number of builds.
    The tool held up for many a poor mans build. Think it was only 20 some dollars.
    Do not purchase the new AGI tool as it is to big for the rivet. It will bottom out on the receiver before completing the round rivet properly.
    The height of the flat head is just at the start of the process.
    Leave height on the rivet to let the tool form the round head.
    Tapping the edges of the rivet is just to help the tool do its job.
    Sorry about the blurry picts. But this tool is an inexpensive easy way to make some decent round rivets.
    I do not have the machinery to make one. So I bought from AGI.
    It should be very easy for someone to make. I would guess an old ratchet handle would work.
    Measure the diameter of the rivet and core out the ratchet to fit.
    I only use it on the long rear rivets.
    The picts. do not do it justice, but the tool built properly, makes easy work of those long rear rivets.
    AGI - Rivet Punch AKS Tool
    Pict. of AGIs rivet punch.
    AK-Builder and others make jigs for the rear long rivet. They work very well.
    But for those on a budget this simple tool does a pretty good job of doing those long rear rivets.
    Lot of new guys joining the site. New builders looking for advice.
    Guys kick in on what you use. Those long rivets have always been the hardest part for me to get done correctly.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

From your blurry pic they look good, not perfect but not bad either
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Definitely nice work. Keep'em coming, 4th
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

4th -- I've got the long rivet tool and it's hit and miss about getting the damn things right.

One of the difficulties I've always had is visualizing what's happening in the press. By the time I find the rivet head is lopsided it's too late to fix it. Or worse, trying to fix it I bugger up the receiver #$%^@&*.

The advantage of the hammer is greater visibility.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default Guys I am trying.

Do not worry about the likes of the Library..
    New builders need our help.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

4th -- I've got the long rivet tool and it's hit and miss about getting the damn things right.

One of the difficulties I've always had is visualizing what's happening in the press. By the time I find the rivet head is lopsided it's too late to fix it. Or worse, trying to fix it I bugger up the receiver #$%^@&*.

The advantage of the hammer is greater visibility.
    Same here. I cant get the rivet to come out straight.
    Those long rear rivets have always been the toughest part of the builds.
    The first rivet punch I got from AGI worked to form a perfect rivet head till I wore the damn thing out. Too many builds.
    I'll clean this one up and see if I can get it looking better.
    When I go down to see Pirate I will torment him till he shows me how he did my Yugo. His came out perfect.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.