Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: SLOW BUT NOT SURE.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Cool O.K..

Cleaned em up a little with Brillo and gave em a quick spray.
    Now I will stay up all night till they are perfect. These long rivets WILL NOT defeat me. AHHHHHHHHHHHH.

If Coils tells me there no good I will smash this whole AK.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

LOL I think they look good, even in you blurry pic they looked good enough for me.
    But I can say your picture skills are improving.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Alright, that looks Great! Tony the Tiger stuff - Would you measure across that rivet cup so we can figure what size ball end mill would make the tool?
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Smile Ball End Mill. huh.

I knew I should have taken shop instead of that damn assistant coach job to the girls swim team.
    AGI sent me a schematic on the dimensions of the tool. They are in California. Early here so I will give them a call to get another one in a few.
    The new long rivet punch they made bottoms out on the receiver before rounding the rivet head. This leaves a ring on the receiver.
    That being with AK-Builder rivets, which is what I use. Different or bigger rivet heads I am sure it would work fine.
    For my first 20 or so AKs the tool really really did an excellent job. Till it plum wore out.
    The advantage of this simple tool is you can go slow and see your progress as your forming the head.
    Pretty sure they said it is case hardened. This really is a good workable, inexpensive tool, for a job that I always have problems with on those long rear rivets.
    I will get the dimensions if I have to fly to Kali.
    Give me a few. I'll be back with the info.
    If others have different methods, show them guys. This could turn into a good thread on those long rear rivets.
    Lot of new guys joining the site that want to build. I know there are jigs for the long rivets, but this may help the new guys with some simple tools.
    Show us what you use and how they look.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Post O.K.. Got it.

Winn. P.M. on the way.. Just got off the phone with AGI..
    I have there old disc and the schematic for the tool is on it. I did not know that.
    You know how to do that machinist stuff. I will send you the tape and you can pull up the picts. and diagrams for the guys.
    The man I spoke with strongly recommended heat treating it.
    Told the guy it made it through my first 15 or so AKs and he went into shock. "Damn how many you have?" Told him about 80. Guy almost dropped the phone.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Post Got it Winn.

Quote Originally Posted by Winn R View Post
    Alright, that looks Great! Tony the Tiger stuff - Would you measure across that rivet cup so we can figure what size ball end mill would make the tool?
    Would you believe I can not find the damn schematic.
    My machinist friend did the measuring for me. I cant see any anymore so he checked the size and did the measuring.
    Small punch- Outside .460.
    - Inside .280
    Large punch- Outside .405
    - Inside .355

The small punch, I am sure could be very easily made with the correct tools.
    The small .280 works perfect on AK-Builders rivets if someone wants to take a measurement to build.
    I strongly recommend case hardening the tool.
    Simple tool and really does a good job on the long rivets.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I think you have inspired me for my next after my next build. I really like the look of your sidefolder. Thanks 4th now my wife is gonna kill me for getting another kit.
    “Come on you apes, do you want to live forever?”
    attributed to an “unknown platoon sergeant”.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.