Thread: Longest build ever comes to a close! (56k warning)

Feedback Score

Default Longest build ever comes to a close! (56k warning)

Romy G, side-folder. Nothing special, aside that it's my first... and it has a history of being the longest build EVER.... afaik.

This all started Jan '08... I decided I'd sell my dust-collecting Imbel FAL kit (if anyone has an Imbel FAL kit with "42" on the butt, pm me!) for a more n00b-friendly build for my first time... Also, some oddball (odd for an FAL forum) called "7.62x39" (why it was odd), said Gunco is a great place to hang out, if you need info on AK building... Hence, Jan '08.

I traded a guy an FAL kit for a Romy G kit with side-folder... Immediately, I attacked it with a dremel, a drill, and a biiig f-riendly hammer... As you'll remember, I was the one who tried to drop a lowrider Isuzu pickup on my barrel pin, in hopes of busting it loose... X)

Anyway, it was around March when I finally got everything ready... Selected a screw-build method, just to see if I can cheat and add some tear-down-ableness... It was setting against my door frame. I felt like moving furniture, somehow it fell just right, and knocked a computer monitor (CRT) over onto it, turning it into a banana-shaped AK...

I was SOOOO PIIIISSSSSSEEEDDDD!!!! D:< ALL that work, all that weight lost hammering my cheap receiver press to shit... GONE. :|

I did get it straightened out later, but I wasn't going to trust my life to a receiver with more curves than Laguna Seca Raceway... So, I chucked the receiver and kept the heat-treated rails. I bought another one, tried to get it through the jig, but I only single-nutted the carriage bolts, and the flat walked, creating a very unusable U-shaped chunk of sheet metal...

So, I disassembled it, stuck the screws in the trunnions and through the trigger guard, and tossed it all into a box...

Last year around this time, I got another flat and built another jig; this time, I made it a bit longer so I could put extra bolts in the ends of each piece... I successfully bent the flat, and swiftly spot-treated everything and then some, using old lawnmower oil as a quenching medium... I also screwed with refinishing the wood on the foregrip, since I took and shaved it all down to be a bit more comfortable.

I was about to get a spot welder from AK-Builder and finish the damn thing that year, but something came up, and the AK project got shoved into the back of the safe...

But this year, I was bound and yawning determined to get this mug finished... Come hell or high-water (snow, in this case), I was getting it done... Took it to work Xmas Eve Day, waited until after work, tacked the rails in with the MIG as my absolute-best. Came home, shaved the mag stabilizers down to -47 size, got everything feeling right, cleaned it, blued it, sorta-koted over that, and re-re-re-re-re-re-reassembled...

And here she is... Three years in the making, ladies and gentlemen, I give you:

MISS ROMANIA, 1986!!!

Yes, yes, just your every-day Romy G... except this one took THREE @$#^$$ING YEARS!!!!

Now, to reminisce...

Winter '08:

Ahh, Demill... Fond memories!

Playing with Ergonomics.

Grasshopper jig (Very Poor Man's Bend Jig Lol), number one. It was destroyed trying to bend the botched receiver. Note: Grasshopper jig NEEDS bolts at the tips...

First one: dead and gone.

Getting things back onto a receiver... First mock-up.

Mocked up...

Winter 2009:

finished fore grip, new receiver...

And since all the pics I have from Winter '09 are of the same thing just different angles, I'll save you the time of scrolling and me the time of posting, since it is almost 2:30am here... :|

Winter almost-2010:

Can't really see any of the welds, but the rails ARE IN!

Sorta-koted... Gonna see if that over blue will age gracefully, or terribly...

-------

So there it is... 3 years worth of dust collecting...

Next year, I plan on test-firing it...

(I got the rails in and fitted and trimmed Thursday, and it's been blizzarding since Friday, just now kinda stopping snowing...) :\

- CK
    Last edited by CeeKay; 12-28-2009 at 02:00 AM.
    Ask questions first; Distance? Windage? Elevation?
    ------------
    ""...when you capture spoils from the enemy, they must be used as rewards, so that all your men may have a keen desire to fight, each on his own account""

- Sun Tzu
    ------------
    "A petty thief is put in jail. A great brigand becomes a ruler of a State."
    - Zhuang Zi

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

now thats somthing to be proud of!!
    well done!
    who cares how long it takes just as long as your satisfied with the end result!
    hell i think im at a year with one of my rommy builds!but its something ill say i am proud of!
    Keep the change-I just want my Country back!!!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Talking

Next year I plan on test firing it.
    O.K. K. You did a great job on that. Looks great.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I bought 4 kits in the second half of 07 but havent really started on them.Probation for driving while impaired keep me from buying the recivers until April of 08.I hopeing to finish them this winter/spring once I get a steady income comeing in.I hear my disability has been approved but SS has not contacted me yet.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Using your vehicle to press the barrel pin out, thats one I've never seen before.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I wondered what that first picture was all about? What year barrel press/vehicle is that? Did it work? If it did that might be the all time "I don't want to buy any tools" idea ever.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Glad you got it together, and it looks nice. Don't worry about the time frame, not everyone has a lot of free time.

Using your vehicle to press the barrel pin out, thats one I've never seen before.
    I don't remember who it was, but there was someone that used there house (house trailer, you know a single wide/double wide style prefab) and a jack to press a flat into a jig, heard the house moved before it starting bending and the wife bitched him out.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    Glad you got it together, and it looks nice. Don't worry about the time frame, not everyone has a lot of free time.

I don't remember who it was, but there was someone that used there house (house trailer, you know a single wide/double wide style prefab) and a jack to press a flat into a jig, heard the house moved before it starting bending and the wife bitched him out.
    now thats a home built!!!
    Keep the change-I just want my Country back!!!

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by mg555 View Post
    I wondered what that first picture was all about? What year barrel press/vehicle is that? Did it work? If it did that might be the all time "I don't want to buy any tools" idea ever.
    Didn't work. The truck isn't heavy enough for it...

It's a 1990 Isuzu Pickup, lowered... It's a 2-ton hydraulic (floor jack) press... Not enough to bust the pin loose. :\

"Range" Report:

It works! I hit all the snow I was aiming at, and got the very first brass spit out of it. It was still a bit tight-acting, but I imagine that'll go away with a few more mags put through it...

Didn't really mess around with aiming, but it seemed pretty straight. But, that's for another time. It's still sorta blizzardy and really cold here...

Got a good thick brass mark on the receiver, and all the brass I recovered is dented on the side, just under the shoulder... The ejector rail tip was leaving marks on the rim of the steel cartridges too!

Ordered a bayonet, sling, broken shell extractor, blank firing device, and gas port reamer a few days ago, so it should be getting shipped maybe tomorrow...

Apex has East German, Bulgy 74, and Egyptian kits for quite reasonable.... Which one next!?

That is, unless, someone has a Romy/Bulgy RPK kit they wouldn't mind getting rid of for a decent price...

- CK
    Last edited by CeeKay; 12-28-2009 at 01:37 AM.
    Ask questions first; Distance? Windage? Elevation?
    ------------
    ""...when you capture spoils from the enemy, they must be used as rewards, so that all your men may have a keen desire to fight, each on his own account""

- Sun Tzu
    ------------
    "A petty thief is put in jail. A great brigand becomes a ruler of a State."
    - Zhuang Zi

Feedback Score

very cool build

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.