Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Not an ak, but a vz.

Feedback Score

Default Not an ak, but a vz.

Finally finished my custom vz! This wasnt the easiest build to complete, seemed like every corner had some sort of road block, the last requiring me to switch receivers due to some out of spec dimensions.
    Thanks to Chopper and 1biggun for all the help. 1biggun did an awesome job turning the barrel down and chambering it. Chopper supplied a sizing reamer and empty shells to help 1biggun chamber the barrel.
    Obiwanbonjovi's (akforum)FCG worked perfectly! Next custom build I'll def. order another set from him.
    My modified AR-15 mag worked better than expected, I honestly thought I would have some tweaking to do.
    I have to go back and touch up the paint in a few spots, but heres a few pics of this 6.5 grendel vz and one std fixed stock rifle for the hell of it.
    For paint I used Socom black on the barrel and combat green for all the other parts. The green is a bit darker than I wanted, but its good for now.
    As 1biggun can attest, this was one tough build, especially at the end when the barrel wouldn't press into the first receiver. Thank god I had an extra!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Nice job, I like the way you finnished the stock and hand-guards.

Feedback Score

Thanks, I made those out of cocobolo for the grendel build. No stain was used, that was only top coated with clear spar varish. The stock is about an inch longer than the factory stock and the pistol grip and hand guards are a bit wider. PIA to whittle out by hand, but I was bored and no one else was offering real wood stocks for the vz.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by afrey1967 View Post
    Obiwanbonjovi's (akforum)
    Do what?

obiwanbonjovi - Gunco.net

He's an outstanding member here.

Feedback Score

Cool, didn't know he was on here, I knew he frequented many gun forums but hadn't seen a post by him here. Regardless his parts were awesome.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

That's a cool build....never saw one like it before.

What kind of receiver did you use?

Feedback Score

It's built on an ORF receiver. I've done a couple now, and as long as you take your time they turn out well. I treat all my builds the same, hand fit all the parts, similar to a 1911 pistol build.
    I did encounter a few roadblocks, and 1biggun can confirm that I was pissed off and should have started with this receiver in the first place.
    Oh well now I get to try a vz re-weld.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Very sweet build. Than one looks like a family heirloom
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by afrey1967 View Post
    It's built on an ORF receiver.
    Where'd you get one cheap? I suddenly happened into $300 and would much rather buy a VZ receiver rather than trying to reweld one with nothing to use to get measurements off of...

Amazing how little there is to be found in the way of people talking about VZ recievers, I hear there was a group buy a while ago at AKforum, but I don't wanna have to register to see it. I remember hearing there were some good receivers, and some ones that were improperly heat treated.

Feedback Score

They had issues with their early receivers from what I've read. Something about the feedramps either not being machined or being machined low. All my ORF receivers were from the later batches.
    Basically I took my time and hand fitted the component parts and deburred and or smoothed out the surfaces. I have almost 5k fired through my first ORF based rifle with out one rifle related issue. I had 3 bad boxes of steel cased wolf, that was underpowered and wouldn't cycle the action on every round. But it didn't work in my romy or the mini 30 I used to own either. So I chalked that up to ammo it was all the same lot # Mostly it was just common sense stuff. For example, I noticed heavy gouges on the cases after hand cycling. I traced it to sharp edges on the underside of the receiver lugs. I then compared them to the stub and noticed that the lugs on the stub were beveled, so I went back with a dremel and beveled the edges. I did the same thing to a d-technik build as well.
    As for the heat treat, I never heard of an issue with their vz receivers, I think they had problems with the galil's.
    I got a few on different group buys that were going on. They are selling them now for 200.00 direct at ORF no group buy needed.
    CNCWarrior will also be coming out with vz receivers sometime this year. If I remember right it will be around march. Those are supposed to be almost a dead ringer for the actual mil-spec receiver . Meaning the feed ramps will be radiused like the originals, not flat like the D-techniks or ORF's. Those will probably be priced about the same as the d-techniks or hopefully closer to what he's asking for his milled ak receivers.
    Right now I have one messed up receiver and a good stub, so I'm going to attempt sometime in the future to do a reweld. So I'll have a D-technik reweld eventually.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.