Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My first re-weld Yugo M70

It's pretty obvious captain obvious's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by nicoroshi View Post
    Fake can for 30" minimum length requirement of CA version of Federal law.
    CA measures the distance with the rifle in it shortest configuration (stock folded) so i had to permanently attach a 5" fake can to end up at 30 3/4" folded.
    The rifle is also bullet buttoned, and with a 10/30 mag for (IMHO stupid) SB23 which is CA's version of the now defunct AWB of 1994.
    I bet it still pisses off the liberals that I stayed within their idiotic rules, and legally own this type of rifle in CA.

Hey Chunky Lover,
    I remember that rifle as a parts kit. Looking good
    well, for a communist paradise "legal" gun, it looks pretty good.
    master of the obvious.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

very nice. Very nice....

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up

Wow. That came out real real nice. Excellent job.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Range report:

Put about 140 rounds through her today for sighting in, and some fun.
    '0' malfunctions
    I have a nice bruise on my shoulder from the metal buttstock but it's a good hurt.

The range was busy, and I could not get a rest for the rifle so I rested the front of it on my range bag, and held it for sighting in.
    20 shots of Golden tiger at 50 yards looks like this:

I did terrible at 100 yards only putting 11/20 into an 8" shoot 'n' see iron sighted, and hand held.
    The ones that missed the shoot 'n' see were close enough to have done the job on a man sized target though.
    I would love to blame the short sight radius, imported ammo, or an old slightly pitted barrel but the truth is probably the operator needs a steadier hand, and better eyesight.

Feedback Score

great thread, nicoroshi. I particularly appreciate your bluing results. This is going to be very helpful in my upcoming build when I select the right cold bluing agent. The pictured results are absolutely fantastic.

And good range report- I'm sure you'll get better results down the road. I always find my hands to be the primary reason why my rifles under-perform at the range. One of the best ways I've found to see if my rifle is more capable than my hands are is to allow friends to give them a try. It also spreads the joy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

flintoid,
    On either cold blue that I have tried the key is a clean surface to start with. What I like about the blue wonder product is it does not require removing the old bluing, and the cleaner is heated using a torch or hair dryer to drive any moisture out of the metal as well as open up it's pores for a deeper clean.
    Probably why I had better results with that product.
    The Birchwood Casy product requires rinsing the part with water to stop the reaction of the de-bluing agent, and again after the cleaning agent. If it's not completely dried it starts to rust almost immediately affecting the bluing (which also requires a water rinse to stop the reaction, and will rust if not oiled right after).
    There is no water rinse with blue wonder, and can be used over the old bluing or to repair worn blue. It can also be darkened to whatever shade you'd like by adding multiple coats until it reaches the color you desire. That in itself gets my vote for a better product.

As for accuracy I can shoot some of my Romy 'G' flat builds at 100 yards like this iron sighted:

Sightly better than I did yesterday but perhaps the difference was in ammo, and my shooting abilities those days.

I am looking into a Krebs rear peep sight leaf to replace the old Yugo one as I believe that would help with a better sight picture.
    Anyone have one, and can recommend/ steer me away from going that route?

EDIT: Forget that last line. The Yugo uses a shorter rear sight leaf so that idea is shot
    Last edited by nicoroshi; 02-09-2010 at 07:39 PM.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Update:
    I thought some more about gases leaving the muzzle, and the fake can when a bullet is fired, and figured it couldn't hurt to re-crown the barrel, and put a crown on the fake can as well.
    So after pinning my stock open I cut the top of the fake can to get to the FSB detent so I could push it in, and remove the fake can to re-crown the barrel.
    There was a slight bit of pitting at the base of the barrel crown. The fake can on the other hand was way out of being an even crown on the discharge end.
    Both of these issues were repaired, and fake can cut to remove cuts I had made to reach the detent, and end lapped perpendicular to the side (total length folded is now 30 1/4").
    I took it to the range today to re-sight it in, and try it out. I had noticed that the top of the end of the fake can was more open than the bottom when adding a crown to it. What a difference! After sighting in I was able to shoot about a 2" 5 shot group at 50 yards iron sighted, and hand held. My group at 100 was in the 3.5" range with the same set up, and no fliers!
    My guess it was a combination of the uneven base of the crown on the old barrel, and the end of the fake can being uneven (for sure the later as I had to raise my front sight almost two turns to re-sight back in).
    Interesting that the end of the fake can although a larger diameter than the bore could have such a profound affect on the bullet flight but when I think about it that makes sense. The gases are still pushing the bullet at that point so it does stand to reason that both the muzzle of the barrel, and that of the fake can should be crowned.

No pics of the targets but I will be sure to take some next time out, and post.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Looks fantastic !

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Excellent! I am getting ready to do my own!

Thanks for sharing!
    Pat

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Nice. I might have to tackle one next.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.