Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My AK Winter Project

Feedback Score

I let my red loktite set up for a week before shooting and no screw has come loose, and when I had to swap receivers the screws barely came out, they were in so tight I though on some the allen wrench would break. I did replace the screws with new ones just incase the pressure of taking them out weakened them. Just bring the tool and check a few times after the rifle heats up a little

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up

Excellent build. Creative, innovative, Very very nice job.
    All the stores seem to have stopped selling the Dupli Color 1200 deg. paint. Maybe Guncote bought them out.
    Oh God I am gonna start a war with that one.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score

4thIDvet, don't know about that or not on the Guncote, but I was disappointed when my son who is the store manager at Autozone told me that they no longer carried it and recommended the Rust-O-Leum engine paint. After reading it though and seeing it was rated at 2000 degrees I thought what the heck give it a try.
    WVHunter129
    Aim small...miss small

Feedback Score

Received one of my gauges today, the NO-GO is on back order. I got the FIELD gauge. So I went ahead removed the receiver cover and pulled the recoil spring and inserted the FIELD gauge into the bolt and by light thumb pressure tried to close the bolt on the FIELD gauge. It did not close, THIS IS GOOD!

From my readings about headspace and the gauges, that on military surplus you want to use the FIELD gauge to check the headspace. I found several articles on the internet in regards to the FIELD gauge use. A professor at a university stated that some military firearms may go close on a NO-GAUGE but not close on a FIELD GAUGE. In his writings he states that the military has a little more tolerance in the headspacing on the military firearms.

So here is what I know so far. 1 - Everything is back together, as it should be. 2 - All operations seem to function properly (ex. saftey works, FCG works, bolt works, magazines fit and bolt retrieves, chambers and ejects rounds). 3 - A round chambers and the bolt locks into place. 4. The bolt will not close and lock when tested with a FIELD gauge.

So I either wait for the NO-GO gauge to come in and check the headspace one more time or go out and fire the rifle.

It has now been a week and two days since I got the rifle assembled, so the red LocTite and the JB Weld used on the inner rails (along with 4 screws on each inner rail) has had time to setup and cure thoroughly.
    WVHunter129
    Aim small...miss small

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Sounds like you're ready to test fire that bad boy.
    If it will not close on a field gauge, and chambers a round like it should locking into battery it passes head space check. Sounds like you've done the other checks for cycle, and function as well.
    SHOOT THAT BAD BOY!

Feedback Score

Should be good. Safe at least. You probably ain't reloading so if it passes the field test you're fine. Got a few FALs that don't even close on go gauges but they work fine with no pressure signs, so so long as it passes the field test and chambers ammo you'll be fine with shooting it.

Feedback Score

[486] I do reload, but I won't for that rifle, well not until I know for sure that there isn't going to be a problem with it. I wouldn't load to the max at all I would stay with the minimum or mid range. I have a Chinese SKS that I have changed everything out on, it has a Tapco T6 stock and a few bells and whistles. So with having to rifles chambered in 7.62x39 I may do some reloading for that round. But again keeping it safe. But for now it is store bought military ammo for a while. Got plenty of that right now.

Will go Saturday, if this dang snow lets up, and test fire the rifle on our hunting lease to see how it functions. Will set it up and do a few rounds from cover using a string on the trigger and if nothing flies apart, which I don't think will, then I will pick it up and take some good shots at a target. Just want to make sure that it is absolutely safe to fire. I know I may be a little over cautious but I don't want to hurt anyone or myself.
    WVHunter129
    Aim small...miss small

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

And I thought I was the only one>>>>

Nothing wrong with 'safety first'.
    When it fires, cycles, and locks into battery on an empty chamber with the 'first round fired check' Be sure to raipid fire test it for reliable function of the FCG>>>>
    8 round rapid fire test

Feedback Score

Will do. Thanks for the link. Nice looking rifle!
    WVHunter129
    Aim small...miss small

Feedback Score

I took the rifle out today and gave it a good test. I set everything up, had string tied to trigger, put one round in the magazine, pulled the bolt carrier back...stood clear and fired. Work smoothly! Retrieved the empty casing out of the snow and examined it. No bulges, primer still intack and flush and no splitting. Then I put 2 rounds in the magazine, pulled the bolt carrier back and chambered a round. Stood clear and pulled on the string twice and each time, bang...bang. Retrieved those two cases. Just as before. So after those three test rounds, I loaded up the magazine with 5 rounds. Picked up the rifle, had a target setup 30 yards down range and took aim. Emptied that magazine and loaded in another 5 rounds and shot three by aiming and 2 off the hip. My son shot it....3 rounds as fast as he could pull the trigger and 2 rounds from the hip.

A total of 20 rounds was fired after the initial test. As can be seen in the target, 13 rounds hit the target and 4 rounds missed...those were the off the hip shots. The other 3 rounds were the test shots into a bank.
    Only two issues I discovered. One, the receiver cover came loose from the front. Don't know the fix for that, it only happened during the rapid fire test. The other issue, which I have taken care of, was the trigger pin came out of the right side hole. I fixed that when I got home by taking a small socket and my brass hammer and tapping...well beating...the socket to make that right side go in just a little. That took care of it. Mared the paint just a little, I think though I can fix that.
    Here are two pictures of the target, one is a close up.

Last edited by WVHunter129; 02-20-2010 at 08:54 PM.
    WVHunter129
    Aim small...miss small

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.