Gunco Forums banner

AK 7.62x25mm improved.

7K views 60 replies 29 participants last post by  guinness11 
#1 ·

The new aluminum magazine well helps allot.

See less See more
#4 ·
Looks VERY nice - the newest Vitayaz pics (9mm) indicate they use molded plastic for theirs... see the pics below.

My sheet metal magwell isn't all cleaned up and purty, but it won't look that good even when it is :) Now I'm embarrased to look at mine - maybe I'll have to redo it now lol

QUESTION - gas or blowback? Factory Vitayaz is blowback, but that looks gas which is why I ask.

#10 ·
Very nice! Are you planning to market these? One thing that you may want to consider is the flare on the bottom of the magwell. I think it could be added to the existing design with little effort because it would be as wide as the top area that covers the magwell; you would just not take that off of the bottom and move the logo up a little bit. However I think it would be fine as-is!

OK, upon a closer inspection, I presume that's your purpose-built 7.62x25 bolt as well :)

Erie Ordnance Depot, Serving the Black Swamp

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f244/anyone-have-info-2xtm-47547/index2.html

#18 ·
SHHHHHHH I was saving that for phase 2 Yeah the same bolt.

I am doing the same thing in reverse for AR15s I am making blowback barrels and using 9mm bolts I have a magazine block that has a fixed ejector like the colt 9mm conversion. But all in 7.62x25mm

The problem I have found with the AK is that it really looks stupid with a straight stick mag. HK mp5 magazines are too wide. I need something like an UZI magazine with some curve to it. Or a way to adapt a calico magazine.

#21 ·
Yeah hand-testing on my PPSH-41 mags they do seem to hand-feed fine. That would certainly make for an easier conversion if the bullets don't tilt in the magazine. Looking at the follower, the probably won't tilt, but you never can tell.

Personally I don't think straight mags look that bad. They can afford to be angled forward up to about 6 degrees, depending on the design of the feed lips.

#22 ·
Hello EOD-Jim,
I have found that 9x19mm ammo feeds best from a 7.62x25 mag when positioned at the back edge of the mag.

The single-position feed commie mags can be adapted to .45 ACP (so can Sten mags) using a 3/8 inch radius feed lip opening (same-same M-3 Greasegun mag). The Sten mags also require removal of the back edge spacer rib or rather the top 2/3 of it anyway to handle the .45 ACP.

VD

#23 ·
LOL I ask that because I got almost everything for a 9mm build and I'm still trying to decide of I want to mod the AK bolt or just get one of yours :D

Or a way to adapt a calico magazine.
This is something we've talked about before, I don't think anyone made any real progress yet but I still think it can be done. Here's a link that was started with some pics of the mag if you don't have one yet.
http://www.gunco.net/forums/f244/calico-helical-magazines-bizon-builds-50240/

#25 ·
I think that it could be done with a Calico magazine after some creative alterations.
Other then a way to mount it, I still think a new end could be made with a short & backward facing feed tower and mag catch lug to replace the stock end would work.

#26 ·
"Creative Alterations" ! :D I like it! You know I know someone who lives in the UK and I keep thinking if I had the money I'd get them to buy one of those Bizons from Oleg and just mail me the magazine. There's just no way I can justify $2,000 for a magazine... the wife would go ballistic.

If you're going to do all of that work to a Calico I think a completely from-scratch tubing magazine would be better. Some black ABS pipe to start with and a feed tower.

Now a magazine adapted for .45 ACP would be MOST interesting! I have a 5 gallon bucket full of .45 brass just waiting for an excuse to be loaded up :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.