Thread: Romy G Build Party results

Feedback Score

Default Romy G Build Party results

Long story short, my twin brother went through a very nasty divorce and one of my college buddies decided that the best medicine for his ailments was a get together of all of our friends from college to build a bunch of romanian G rifles. We'd always talked about doing it, so we finally got the motivation.

I joined this forum and learned everything I could about building these glorious rifles. Did a build party and got 5 rifles built. My rifle needs some work still (rear rivets were too short so I need to redo them) but they all fired and their headspace checked out great. All of the rifles have bolt-to-hammer clearance issues which have been fixed easily by simple filing. You can see how all of them hesitate sometimes. This also was due to the single hook 'slot' in the receiver binding with the tapco trigger groups... it required some filing and polishing, too. We all used nodakspud receivers and akparts.com romy g kits.

The kits weren't as cheap as they used to be in the past, and we could have bought complete rifles probably cheaper (especially with the tool investment) but we did this mostly for the comradery and experience. It made my brother's life a lot happier.

my rifle
    + YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

me and my brother shooting
    + YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

and my friends and I shooting (two closest guys used their Century Arms rifles instead of their new born ones)
    + YouTube Video

I also did a build write up at another site I frequent. Didn't think you guys needed it since there are so many great write ups here already

northeastshooters akm build

also, we've all bought amd-65 kits that we found for a good deal, and since we have all the jigs/press/tools etc., we're all going to do another build probably in the fall. I'll be sure to share the results of that build as well!

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

I highly recommend gun building for divorces.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Winn R View Post
    For causing them or for dealing with them?

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

I love how the brass flies at the camera in the last video. Great builds thanks for sharing!
    "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Winn R View Post
    I didn't know it could have been such great therapy until after the build. My bro was depressed before it, but after the 3 day weekend we made out of building (1 day to de-mill, 1 day to build, 1 day to fire ) his attitude about life improved a lot.

And all of it couldn't have happened without all the stuff I learned on this forum. So sharing videos is the least I could do to thank you all for the tricks of the trade I learned here. Granted, you can't learn 100% from reading- you learn plenty more from doing it. Even the stuff you read doesn't soak in until something goes wrong and you get to know how a kit can either be a PITA or a dream to build. Having 5 different kits, it was pretty cool to see how some just fell together and some resisted everything we tried to do to it.

One thing is for certain, though: Romy G barrel pins don't like leaving their homes. A 12 ton harbor freight press barely got em out... and when they did decide to finally budge.... BANG

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I love how the brass flies at the camera in the last video. Great builds thanks for sharing!
    Ditto
    Thank you
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

looks like you guys had a blast!
    came out good too!
    somtimes thats the best therapy just gettin together with a couple of buds just to have fun!
    Keep the change-I just want my Country back!!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Ak building is also good for the married couple too hehe my wife likes that I have a new hobby, everytime I buy a part or a kit she can now justify some new clothes and I can't say a thing lol nice videos by the way I'll be looking forward to your amd's wishing the best for your brother

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up

Super great vids. Thank you.
    My girlfriend swears to God she is leaving me if I buy one more gun part.
    I'll be back in a minute. I have Copes on the phone.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.