My VZ58 with rewelded receiver
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My VZ58 with rewelded receiver

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default My VZ58 with rewelded receiver

COMPLETE!

This has been quite a chore. Literally years in the making, mostly because I got sick of working on it and sat it back in the safe from time to time

Using scrap receiver sections, I welded them into a usable receiver. Obviously the semi-only modifications were first on the list (namely welding closed the slot for the auto sear and welding a shim in front of the trigger to block the installation of an auto sear).

This is also that one which I took a block of 4140 steel and made my own trigger components from scratch. Template was the original pieces and Eyeball 1.0. Surprisingly, the pieces work like a CHARM. I polished them up nice and smooth and it really makes for a nice feeling trigger pull.

The piston and muzzle brake are both from Hotbarrel, we sat down and I gave him some templates based on the originals. They work great, of course! Muzzle brake blind pinned for a total 17.25" barrel length.

The only thing I've had to do to the rifle was to grind the bolt stop as it was worn enough to be rounded on the tip, making for occasional failures to engage the bolt. Now with the newly-squared end, it locks up SOLID. At least with the mags I have.

What else is there to say - it is overall a GREAT GUN and surprisingly lightweight.

My only "complaint" is the bayonet I have has a chip in the handle. Big deal? Also for some reason the leather pouches and sling straps like to stay moldy. I have attacked them with Ballistol leather/gun cleaner, which does a SURPRISINGLY good job on restoring the leather! I need to get more as I've ran out... the amount of leather I'm treating is thirsty and warrants more.

The paint job makes all of my welding errors stand out (of course!!!) and so I need to go back and touch the weld areas to fix up the pinholes around the welds. That's what I get for using a MIG flux welder. I know all you welder guys out there are rolling your eyes, but that's what I have. Yes I wear my mask to avoid breathing the fumes this creates. The alignment of the receiver sections was EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to keep straight, as the welding heat would cause the parts to flex side-side (like a thermostat coil) so it isn't as pretty as a brand-new receiver. BUT IT WORKS! Here's part of the flux mig work:

I put all the painful build details up here:

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/vz/vz58.htm

What's THIS????? Yes, I welded an extension onto the magazine release lever! I smoothed it all down and I must admit, it makes it VERY NICE to change mags. And I still have a spare in case I want to go back to the original style.

Last edited by hcpookie; 02-13-2011 at 12:37 AM.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Nice!!! I think multiple cutting discs on your moto tool will void the warranty!! Heh..Heh
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

I seldom talk to liberals.............................. But when I do, I order fries............

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Nice job on the welding ,Icann't see nothing wrong with your rewelds .

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Very nice pookie!
    I was looking at the VZ58 kits for a while. Might have to give one a go.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bradrock View Post
    Nice!!! I think multiple cutting discs on your moto tool will void the warranty!! Heh..Heh
    LOL probably would I am on my 3rd dremel tool since 2002!

You'll notice in that pic the sheer amount of grinding dust piled up so bad you can't even see the feed ramp! That was a real mess. There was literally a pile of ground-up disks and metal enough to fill the dustpan! In retrospect I should have put it on the milling machine and cleaned it up that way, but at the time I was hand-fitting everything by reverse-engineering since I had no measurements, thus the slow and painful approach. Several times I had to cut and re-weld the receiver because the pieces had drifted off-center to one side after it cooled off.

I'm going to fill up the little pin holes and cosmetic blemishes around the weld beads with epoxy or bondo, or something similar and paint it over. Should do fine. The welds are deep enough that I am not worried at all about failures due to my welding

These guns are a real pleasure to shoot, and if they remain at the mid-$300 range then I believe everyone should get one. That and the "kit" puts you out around $430-ish for everything. You simply can't build one for that price unless you bought one of the kits WAY BACK WHEN they were what? $40? Otherwise, you go buy the receiver and the kit, and you are well over the $500 mark. And that doesn't even count compliance parts, unless you do like me and like to play on the grinder

The one thing I would like to find is a modern-style magazine pouch that is fabric, as the leather pouches I have are rather snug and make magazine removal kind of difficult. The newer VZ mag pouches look REALLY nice but I can't find them for sale anywhere.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Good Lord Jerry, you're knocking these things out!!

Cold weather in the old town must have you holed up in the shop. My congrats on some fine work with unusual configurations!
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score

nice job

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Pookie what did you use for compliance parts. If you used the original trigger how did you modify it?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Looks good. The finish came out nice.

Feedback Score

Cool, where'd you get the receiver parts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

vz 58 engine paint

vz 58 mag release

vz 58 mag release removal
vz 58 receiver reweld

vz 58 reweld

vz58
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.