M76 Almost Complete
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M76 Almost Complete

Gunco Good ole boy 2ndAmendican's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Default M76 Almost Complete

With a special thanks to Nico for giving me a few welding tips, not to mention basic encouragement, I was able to do a reweld using the original numbers matching front stub and a few cut receivers from Apex. Used my crappy HF flux core 110v rig, plenty of anti-spatter paste, and a LOT of patience.

Still have to install the FCG, and do some dulling down and touch up on the paint on the receiver. Unfortunately it was WAY too ugly to blue it, but it should be a nice shooter. Any rate, here she is:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Great work! Tell us details on barrel and kit. Where did they come from are they matching etc....

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

That looks nice
    Keep us up to date on this
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

nice job, like to see projects like this,
    I would not worry about the uglyness a can of brownells gunkote or duracote will solve that

sprat
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words.

Rigore, the kit I bought back in January for WAy more than I should have, and I'm not sure what gun store owner it was. It was one of those friend of a friend of a friend. He builds and sells them on Gun Broker. It's not Assault Weapons of Ohio, but a similar type operation.

All of his kits were unissued numbers matching WITH original barrels and front stubs still attached. 1996 was the year on mine. Full parts kit, ZRAK scope, scope cover, new rubber eye piece, scope cleaning kit, 5 magazines, magazine pouch, bayonet, and cleaning kit. He threw in 2 extra front stubs as he said that he didn't need them. LOL. I was pleased with that. I gave one to Jreifsch80 as we do alot of trading. The other I "may" be interested in getting rid of, I'm not sure.

Any rate, the kit was as clean and beautiful as an unissued kit can be. I had issues with trying to get a professional welder to do a reweld for me, so thanks to Nico, I decided to do it myself. I would have preferred to use a MIG or TIG with gas, but all I have is a cheap HF 110 flux core rig. It got the job done though. Just ALOT slower.

As far as the finish, I will probably Duracoat the receiver in that shade they have that somewhat matches the Yugo brownish purple "bluing". For now I went with what was left in the paint locker, which was Duplicolor engine paint in semi-gloss black. I really did want a reasonably flawless reweld where I could have blued the receiver to match the original bluing as close as possible. Especially since it's a numbers matching unissued kit. Could have been a safe queen. Kinda glad it's not though. I did refinish the wood though, as the grease had stained it somewhat. I just baked, bleached, dried, sanded, and then applied several coats of Minnwax polyeurothane. I Left the natural wood color.

Right now the carrier cycles as smooth as can be, and locks into battery perfectly. Mags lock up great. LRBHO function on the mags works. I actually forgot about them having that feature, being a Yugo, and one day was trying to figure out why the bolt carrier had locked up. LOL.

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

Nice work. You are going to love shooting the M76. Smooth and low recoil. They are much more pleasant than a dragunov or PSL to shoot in my experience.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by akblue View Post
    Nice work. You are going to love shooting the M76. Smooth and low recoil. They are much more pleasant than a dragunov or PSL to shoot in my experience.

Thanks AKblue.

Wow, that's good to hear. Although my PSL and PSL based custom "Tabuk" clone in 7.62x54r are both very smooth shooters. Recoil on both of those was much less than anticipated. I am really looking forward to shooting this one. Just wish I had a good place to stretch it's legs a bit. Only good spot that I have to shoot is only about 150 yards.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Looks nice, and you'll have fun with the 8mm round.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Damn Chris!!tThats sweet lookin!!
    I wish I had the coin to jump on one of those when they were cheaper,ah well I'll squirel some away until i can find a nice kit
    Keep the change-I just want my Country back!!!

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Thanks Nico and Bob. I REALLY like this thing!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to shoot it!!!! I finally got some time Friday evening to finish up the last bit. I had to do a little work to get the FCG in. Because of my crappy welding skills, the interior dimension at the hammer pin holes was about 1mm too tight, so I had to remove some from the hammer till it operated smoothly. Got it all in and working smoothly. Rifle cycles by hand very nice. I can't believe that I did the reweld, and yet it actually works!!!! LOL. One issue I do have is that I don't have headspace gauges for the 8mm Mauser. That being said, I am using the original, numbers matching front stub for this weapon, so technically the headspace "should" be good. I know I will get flamed for saying this, but I am perfectly comfortable test firing it in this condition, and checking the brass for evidence of any issues. Does anyone have some headspace gauges that they are willing to loan or rent?

Any rate, here she is basically completed, with a few accessories. Hope you folks like.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.