Reborn AMD-65
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reborn AMD-65

Feedback Score

Default Reborn AMD-65

Finally finished this up and pulled the trigger on it today! It shot great and I love it. Just need to adjust the sights a bit, was pretty close. I lined everything up with a laser bore sighter. I'm not too crazy about my paint job, but it will take care of business if I'm ever overrun with zombies or something. LOL

One problem I noticed after shooting 20+ rounds thru it was with the hand guard retainer. Seems the notch in the barrel was cut a little big and my hand guard ended up getting pushed out towards the barrel end about .125" or so. Anybody had this problem. I don't see a easy fix for that. ???

Bought a all matching #'s kit with a 14.5" barrel from Arms of America. US parts are FCG, gas piston, barrel, AK builder flat. Built all of my own jigs and stuff.

After building this I must say that I admire you guys very much that are building guns in your garages. It took me almost an entire machine shop to do it. (CNC lathe, manual lathe, 2 mills, drill press, band saw, mig welder, hydraulic press) Now, if only I had some work for all of this machinery I would have my next kit on the way! Hmmm.......think I'm going look around the shop to see if I can find some scrap or something to sell.........
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Looks good!!Paint job and all,All the paint does is protect it from rust,if you dont mind how it looks -who cares? If you ever get the hankerin you can allways refinish it anyway,thats how I look at it
    As far as the retainer-see if the locking pin is buggered up somehow and not locking into the groove all the way.Or the groove on the barrel is a tad to big,if the groove is a bit oversized you might be able to throw a bead of weld on the locking pin and file to fit
    Or you can take a punch and put tiny dimples on the edges on top of the slot of the barrel.
    Keep the change-I just want my Country back!!!

Feedback Score

Default Some more pics

I think I was most proud of my flat bender. The receiver came out perfect.

And yes, I know what you'll are thinking. That IS an overkill on that big ass angle iron. It was the only piece of angle iron I had in the shop. It bent a nice straight flat though. NO give in it at all........

Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Actualy that thing is perfect!!
    The sides wont bow out and it makes for crisp edges
    I tried that with thinner steel and boy did i have a lot to re form!
    Plus i was using the older style flats that you had to bend the upper rails and for the life of me I couldnt get it right
    Keep the change-I just want my Country back!!!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Looks good in the pics

Also looks like you got the jig right, the corners are nice and sharp.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default Ken

That came out real nice.
    Grab yourself one of the Polish AKs. from Apex if they have any left.
    Oh your hooked on building.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Gunco Good ole boy 2ndAmendican's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Looks great! And your jig is excellent as well. I did mine thicker as well and I get wonderful sharp crisp bends like yours. That receiver looks great in mock up after you bent the flat. Good job.

Trust me, you will start finding all kinds of stuff to do with all of your killer shop tooling once you get a little heavier into building. You'll start getting crazy frankenstein AK building ideas. LOL.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

4th, You are right. I am hooked now. This is worst than drugs. And I was looking at those Polish Ak's as well.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default Yes..

Quote Originally Posted by Ken3030 View Post
    4th, You are right. I am hooked now. This is worst than drugs. And I was looking at those Polish Ak's as well.
    I have no connect with Apex, other than too have paid their children's college tuition. Good people.
    Dont know how many of those Polish AKs are left. But damn they are well built AKs.
    2ndAmendican is correct. Real nice job bending that flat.
    Plus you have a machine shop. Super cool.
    I am a retired Gynecologist, and have no mechanical ability.
    Dont even know how too turn the damn things on, the machines that is.
    Fun aint it. Build, then shoot. Fun.
    Make sure you head-space the weapons. Any questions, check the library here or ask.
    Invest now if you have the money.
    Watch these prices change, just before the next election.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score

Yes, I did check and recheck the headspace. Bought some Manson gauges. Double checked it this morning after shooting it yesterday, was still right on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.