Gunco Forums banner

8mm mauser PSL/AK

10K views 52 replies 16 participants last post by  Sprat 
#1 ·
Heres one I been working on. Romy psl w/ yugo 8mm mauser bbl, Bulgy AK 74 buttstock, modified mg13 mag.

Attachments

See less See more
#35 ·
M76 bolt-carrier arrived yesterday and wouldnt you know it, it needs some fitting. Its slightly longer(.019) from front of bolt to rear of locking lugs, causing it to interfere with the breech end of the bbl. Gonna pull the durn bbl and dress it down the required amount and address headspace when I get the bbl back in. O well...

#37 ·
I decided that moving the bbl forward would give too much headspace. Then it hit me. Why not take metal from the front of the bolt? Thats where the difference is. So thats what I did. Works great, headspace is good, altho just a smidge tight,but everything works. Cycles fine. When I say tight I mean I can feel just a little resistance when the bolt rotates in with a go gauge in place. I need some range time. Damn job gets in the way sometimes.

#38 ·
ok so you took it off the bolt face..

fill me in... do you have to re harden it?

details details details... :)

now for someone setting this up with the 76 to start with you could just set the barrel and pin it....

#40 ·
Not the bolt face but the front of the bolt,or the front of the lugs and lower lug(not sure what that is called,its the lug that strips the cartridge from the mag). Now I call the bolt face the part of the bolt that the cartridge head rests against while in battery.

#41 · (Edited)
I'll put up a detailed list later, but I got a barrel-less psl kit from Apex, a yugo 8mm mauser bbl from Copes, PSL receiver blank from cold steel solutions, and an M76 bolt carrier and bolt from buy milsurp I think. You will end up with an extra bolt and carrier, but I bet u could sell them, and youll have to have the bbl turned to psl or m76 dimensions, depending on what carrier u use,the m76 uses a shorter gas piston, and I wish i had set the bbl up for m76 cause I think it would look sweeter with a shorter gas tube. Also the mg13 mag came from, well i cant remember right now. Later...
edit: bolt and carrier from assault weapons of ohio & mg13 mag from IMA-USA.

#42 ·
Got some range time today. All went well but I need to make an adjustable gas block. Ejection is way too harsh. Other than that, it shot well. No malfunctions. Had a good group going at 100 yds until I had that flyer. .308 cartridge shown for comparison.

Attachments

#44 ·
Sean, you are correct that if someone started out w/ m76 bolt they could just build from there without having to take metal from the front of the bolt. I really didnt want to pull the bbl so I filed the front of the bolt. Pic of adjustable gas block. 1. Hole drilled and tapped thru gas block 1/4 x 28. 2. Screw w/ spring for tension installed a bit over halfway thru with plug screw in other side of gas block installed almost halfway thru.

Attachments

#49 ·
Although I haven't used it yet, I scavenged a paint gun "spreader adjustment valve" and corresponding jamb nut to use for an adjustable gas block. I wish I had a picture of it, so you could see what I'm talking about. I've even been searching the web for a pic and I can't find one, darnit. Any rate, it looks almost perfect to use for a home made adjustable gas block. May work better on a 90 degree gas block, versus the 45 degree though. That way it could come in straight from the top with basically a needle valve into the gas port through the block as the seat. At least that's my thought.

#47 ·
Looking good Dew!! Glad she shoots well.

#48 ·
nice job and the gas block adjustment, in 20something years I have building these varients never seen that done before ( guess I don't frequent all the right sites) and yes trimming the lugs is routinely done, I saw seans question and agree about the face.

really got me thinking, heck I will roll my own shell

#51 ·
Sorry, I was at work when I posted that. I'll have to get some pics tonight.

#52 ·
Here's a pic of some adjustments screws that I plan to try out for an adjustable gas block. The one on the left is the adjustment valve from a standard automitive style spray paint gun. I had it put up in my toolbox, and didn't realize exactly how large the diameter was. It would work great on a home made large block style gas block, but not to add to a factory gas block. It's just too big to use, approximately .500" OD. The one on the right came from some tool or another and I scavenged it before the item went into the trash. I think it's 1/4"-28 threads, so it's small enough to use on a standard AK74 style 90 degree gas block. I was thinking of drilling and tapping directly above the gas hole where the needle valve can basically just be screwed down deeper into the hole to block the gas, and there is even a jamb nut to lock it in place. Just a thought.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.