74 Bulgie is ALIVE!

Thread: 74 Bulgie is ALIVE!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Default 74 Bulgie is ALIVE!

Ok, I have been hard at work on this took me 4 evenings and this morning. There are still some issues: safety needs some more trimming, and I still have to decide what finish I want on it. I parked the receiver with the rear trunion in it and then attached the front. I had more trouble with the barrel pin than I did the barrel.
    Let me know what you guys think....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

Looks great! Someday when I get the space available (garage) and some tools I would like to try an AK too. You guys are a bad influence :smile:

For finish, I would give it a good coat of black paint, Gunkote or something of the sort. Both Russian and Bulgarian AKs are generally painted.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

you better get going. Thats a bunch to do, sounds like something I would like to be involved in.
    I'm already thinking about what's next?

thanks

Feedback Score

Thumbs up AK74

That rifle looks great ........! what reciever you got on it? did you do the whole rifle your self?.....

looking at picures like his makes me want to start another project.....I might just do it
    This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine

Feedback Score

is that the kit you got from gunthings.com? If so, you didnt waste anytime getting started on it. It appears he built it on a OOW-74 receiver, damn good choice!!!! Good job!!

My only suggestion would be to install a side rail optics plate on the side of the receiver, those allways look great on 74 builds. Plus a cobra or Pso scope seem to feel right at home on these rifles. I also have a plum kit from gunthings.com, Here is what I have gotten done on mine.

1. pressed barrel pin and barrel out of front trunnion

2. got trunnion "fitted" to my homemade receiver

3. got the rear trunnion and triggerguard removed from the old receiver stubs and punched the old rivits out of the holes.

4. Fitted the rear trunnion to my receiver and got the holes drilled.

5. rivetted my triggerguard to the receiver

MY GOAL TOMARROW IS TO FINISH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOO HOOOO!!!!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Yes thats the gunthings kit, I saw, it came, I conquered.

It is the OOW-74 ( I have another waiting for the right build, thinking of an AK-102 clone, but it would be an SBR so I probably will do a folder of some sort using that style gas block?) Also thought about a 5.56 build, who's done one of those? What about mags? What mods are needed to the receiver/extractor?

I like the thought of the side rail, doesn't that attach at one end to the lower trunion rivet? That means I have to drill out my countersunk rivets. (possibly scratch my receiver)

And yes I did everything myself, I used my floppy 12 ton press, plinker's jig, Max's trigger jig, a dremel, my $30 drill press, some quality drill bits, misc hand tools. I mixed up my own park solution from manganese phospahate and phosphoric acid, cooked it on a turkey frier burner.Lost some skin and blood. Thank god for safety glasses! If I only had one more hand it would have made everything so much easier. (for pressing activities) I live in an apartment and used my little one car garage with only one electrical plug that I have tee'd off. So if there's a will there's a way...Do it if you can!

Post some pics of that plum 74.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Boo hoo.....$189 from FAC

Feedback Score

FAC has been sold out of those $189 kits for sometime!!! plus the FAC kits Did NOT come with the mag pouch,magazine, stripper clips & feeder, or the bayonet. The gunthings kit is a better deal.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.