Thread: Folding Stock Trunions

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Folding Stock Trunions

So far so good...

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/Gr.../rearstock.htm

One day these will be part of the Groza kits

Feedback Score

Get this all worked out and I 'll take a kit.
    Normal is Boring!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Excellent, keep us informed Jerry.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Pookie.. you need to get some shielding gas.. the flux core stuff sucks... too much cleanup.. besides you can actually see how your weld is forming..

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Yeah I know. I was getting in a hurry because the darned garage was getting C-O-L-D and I just started to get sloppy in the prep work so I didn't use any anti-spatter spray. Check it out, my welding buddy looked at it and said that non-stick Pam cooking spray or Crisco could be used to do the same thing. Would be cheaper and less toxic besides! I'm probably going to get a good MIG setup but I'm still in the learning stage with welding... so this $90 flux core welder is my training wheels starter set AFAIC. I can say that this sucker got HOT what with all the welding and now its pretty annealed... it used to "clunk" but it rings like a bell now!

BUT - whaddayathink about the folder trunion?!?!? Oh the possibilities. Since this is the prototype, I took my time to ensure as few cuts as possible and waste as little metal as possible. I figured a way to make the left side with less metal, and therefore less waste, so I'm real happy about that. AND I saw some springs at Ace Hardware that look as if they will work for the main spring. The retainer hooks can be made from the same 3/8" bar stock, and that leaves remaining parts - a torsion spring and a few pins.

I figure I'll make the retainer hook/latch by making the latch from bar stock, then welding perpendicular to some round rod so it will look like a little hammer or axe when its ready. The original is hollow (probably to save weight) and I can just drill it for that. Find some nicely priced skeleton stock folders and I/we will be set. I'm starting a week-long business trip tomorrow evening and it will be post-Easter before I can get back into the shop. I hope by then it will be warmer and I'll be able to put some quality time into this and the floorplate press.

Gunco Regular Thumb Clip Pull Pin's Avatar
    Feedback Score

hcpookie!

Your work inspires me! Thanks for all of your contributions, but your work bench is waaaay too organized!

Yours,
    Thumb Clip Pull Pin.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Thumb Clip Pull Pin
    hcpookie!

Your work inspires me! Thanks for all of your contributions, but your work bench is waaaay too organized!

Yours,
    Thumb Clip Pull Pin.
    Ouch, baby! Very ouch! Hey what can I say... when I get in a hurry I tend to get sloppy!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

You will learn so much more being able to actually see your weld form with the shielding gas Pookie... when using the flux core.. I couldn't see crap.. with the shielding gas.. I can instantly see if I am moving too quickly.. or slowly..

But at $267 to get the cylinder and gas... it is an expensive way to make it easier....

Feedback Score

I know this is a old thred. Are you by any chance convincable to make up a few of thes trunions for sale? they are few and far between to find now a days.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Yes, I am as a matter of fact I could be talked into it. You in a hurry?

To be honest I've gotten so busy with other things that I've really not spent a great deal of time on them. I would need to dust off that pile & get back to it.

It would be several weeks out at least - probably January or Feb. I've got a business trip next week (ON MY BIRTHDAY ) and of course the holidays will push me back even further.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.