Gunco Forums banner

Romy G AMD

7K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  jimraynor21 
#1 · (Edited)

50 yards after attempting to sight in for battle ready 0(my marksmanship is nowhere near my mechanical ability)

I have 120 rounds through it with no malfunctions. Everything feels solid and works properly. I cant express how thrilled I am with how it turned out, and that it functions correctly.

Some of you may recognize my username as Ive been creeping and asking questions but more than anything I want to thank everyone on this forum for the amazing knowledge they have contributed to making these projects possible. I especially want to give a big thumbs up to pookie for leaving such a thorough site up for all these years. Despite all the swearing, alcoholic drinks, broken tools and money spent(overall around $600 including the magazines), I really enjoyed building it and I have my radar on for reasonable kits to do another/guide some close friends/family.

See less See more
Reactions: Tommo
#4 ·
Indeed I did and I did not realize it until you pointed it out. I guess I have more work to do this weekend.

I really considered putting the AMD handguards/pistol grip on it to make it more correct but I find the dong likable.

#3 ·
I like it! I have one of those vented steel upper handguards I've been meaning to use one of these days. Better do it soon, as I'm running out of AK kits. And frankly kind of moving on from AK's to tube guns & beltfeds.

#6 ·
"I have 120 rounds through it with no malfunctions. Everything feels solid and works properly"

Do not rebuild it.. That is a real Mans AK. .120 rounds with great hitting, leave it alone.
Excellent job young feller..
My favorite AK is my Franken build.. Hell I do not even know what I used for parts, but it goes bang.. Great job on that..

#7 ·
Good first job, and don't discount frankenguns. They can be some of the most fun ones in your collection. Thanks for sharing.

#8 ·
Nice! Good job. There's nothing wrong with a Frankenbuild! I have a couple that I love. NOW you're hooked bud. Damn AK's tend to multiply like fricking rabbits after the first one!

#10 ·
How did u do your rivets if I may ask? U say they are not to clean looking.....but the pics aren't close enough to tell.....just curious because I'm a novice builder as well, with the same level of mechanical inclinations judging from your ability description. Just wanted to know in case you could advise for/against the method in which you attempted....Thanks

#11 · (Edited)
How did u do your rivets if I may ask? U say they are not to clean looking.....but the pics aren't close enough to tell.....just curious because I'm a novice builder as well, with the same level of mechanical inclinations judging from your ability description. Just wanted to know in case you could advise for/against the method in which you attempted....Thanks
There's a reason for that LOL. I used a few modified versions of these only because I have so many I have collected. Chain Breaker & Riveting Tool | Motion Pro

It actually worked really well as far as crushing the rivets properly inside the front trunnion. A few came out okay but I did a poor job drilling out a relief for the rivet heads and it ended up getting them all out of shape, so on many of the ones I botched I simply flattened the heads.

I would say on my next project I will make the modified bolt cutters and probably spend some time building a jig for the rear rivets/center support.

#13 · (Edited)
Deleted

#14 ·
Be careful Jim, it becomes a severe addiction!!!! LOL. After building/firing my first AK several years ago, I became hopelessly addicted to building.

#15 ·
Last time Ill bump and then this thread can fade away.

I sensed the sarcasm in your post blue but I do appreciate you pointing out my backwards FSB. I finally got around to fixing it and also mount it forward (I think it looks better and its easier to aim for sure). Got it zero'd again, and I think the Yugo mags are a very nice touch vs the Tapco(hook up much smoother also). 100 yard shots are not difficult anymore with all the time Ive been spending at the range, think its time to take it easy on the ammo consumption. There will definitely be future builds as funds allow.

Thanks again guys

#17 ·
Looks good Jim. Glad she worked out for you. There's a cool satisfaction knowing that YOU built it, and it works!!!! I never get tired of that feeling.

#19 ·
Yeah, the front end looks a lot better now. Good job.

#20 ·
Ahhh well I can't keep well enough alone. As much as I like the G handguard for functionality I was getting frustrated smoothly swapping magazines. I wasn't going to post in here again in hopes of my thread eventually dropping off the page but it appears that's not going to happen anytime soon so f-it.

I redid my finish(still need to buy a true finishing product) and decided to add Arsenal furniture. I swore to myself that Im not modifying it anymore unless its a scope mount/rail. I did the swap a while ago but seeing biggun talking about crap looking builds prompted me to share the update. Certainly much less bubba looking now, less traditional but Im very satisfied.

Also brings my US parts count up to 8 which makes me happy.

I dont expect any replies, I've whored the thread enough...just wanted to share. :)

#21 ·
talking about crap looking builds prompted me to share the update. Certainly much less bubba looking now
I like the way you had it before, not saying it looks bad now, but it looked like it came off the battlefield with the wood, you know a veteran.
Looks are a personal taste, if the owner likes it, then it's done right :D

#22 ·
It still looks good Jim. I'm with Coils though, in that I liked Version 1.0 better. It's all about what makes YOU happy though, so as long as it does that, then it's spot on.

#24 ·
Believe me Im jonsing to do that! Im going to my friends range tomorrow, they have a 200 yard range...I wanna see if I can hit a silhouette with the irons.

#25 ·
Well I got to try her out at the 200yard range. I missed A LOT more than I hit at that range but having no reason to lie to you guys, here is my make shift target.

The 3 furthest away from the little X inside the 2nd circle were my best ones with the AK. That little guy about a half inch from dead bullseye was with my friends Bushmaster :censored:. Theres quite a few more holes on the cardboard nowhere near center but damn that made my day! I also have to say having not fired many ARs that the Tapco trigger group in the AK made the stock Bushmaster feel like a damn wheelgun trigger!

Just goes to show that you guys are collectively excellent instructors when it comes to AK building :D

Now a crazy question for those of you who still check this thread when I post in it.

I was looking at 5 round magazines with the intent of practicing more refined shots using something to better rest the gun on and I cant believe the prices on them! I have 2 Tapco 20round mags I bought for like $10 a piece and I was thinking about trimming one of them down instead of paying $25+ for a 5 rounder. If I was to cut the magazine/spring down, do you have any advice on how to securely reattach the floorplate? I dont mind if it looks crude and was considering attaching a piece to the floor plate that bends around to the body of the mag then attaching it with rivets or machine screws. Im just looking to shorten a magazine for resting purposes. I did some searching and obviously a steel magazine would leave me more options but I refuse to cut one of them up at this point in time. Thanks in advance!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.