Anyone interested is seeing a Saiga 12 converson?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone interested is seeing a Saiga 12 converson?

Gunco Regular Thumb Clip Pull Pin's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Default Anyone interested is seeing a Saiga 12 converson?

I have some step by step pictures and discussion of my Saiga 12 pistol grip conversion. Is anyone interested in seeing this?

Yours,
    Thumb Clip Pull Pin.

Feedback Score

Well,............ hell yea.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Yes, of course, don't keep it to yourself! After I get my AR kit this spring my next purchase will be a Saiga 12. I figure you can't go wrong with the Kalishnikov action and I want and auto loader or pump in 12.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score

Please dont do this to us. You know we want to see this saiga! Quit keeping us in suspense.

Feedback Score

Default Okay! Let's see if I remember how to do this.

I started this conversion by taking the shotgun apart. (The usual warning about unloading the shotgun, and putting away all ammunition apply right here!)

Right away you will notice that the internals are a little bit different because of the factory reloacating the trigger to the rear and installing a "sporting" butt stock. I am sorry that I didn't get any pictures of the disassembly! I was just too stoaked to slow down and shoot some pics. (Besides, I had to charge the batteries too!)

I had some Tapco G2 fire control group parts on had and I wanted to use those. I had a lot of trouble getting the dang G2 hammer in so I measured the original Saiga hammer and the Tapco G2 and found that the hammer axis was longer on the G2. I also found that the right side was shorter than the left side. My shotgun has a BHO (bolt hold open) lever on the right side and the hammer axis has to be a bit shorter to accommodate it.

http://www.gunco.net/forums/attachme...tid=2983&stc=1

After making some careful measurements and thinking about this for a while, I went ahead and used a file to cut down the ends of the hammer axis.

http://www.gunco.net/forums/attachme...tid=2984&stc=1

to be continued...

Thumb Clip Pull Pin.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

TCPP,

You put this together and we'll put it in the library where it will stay untouched after you are done.

-Sang

Feedback Score

Default Fitting the hammer

Okay! Let's roll!

The next step is to fit the modified hammer to the opening in the receiver with the bolt hold open lever in place. (Note- Don?t install the hammer spring at this time! Ask me how I know!) A little more of the axis needs to be removed from the right side of the hammer so that the hammer will be centered in the receiver and strike the firing pin on center.

I found out the hard way that the hammer can be installed backwards! The Tapco G2 hammer has a bump on the front side it near the axis hole when I got it turned around correctly.

This bump needs to be removed. The hammer axis pin will not go through the hammer, B.H.O. lever and the right side of the receiver because this bump hits the bolt/magazine guide.

I did not modify the ear of my Tapco G2 hammer. I want to see if it works with out modify the ear.

Next, I put together the Tapco G2 trigger, sear, spring, and axis hub. The trigger rubbed hard on the left side of the trigger opening of the receiver. I just used a file and adjusted the receiver using the cut and try method.

I fit the safety lever next!

Yours,
    Thumb Clip Pull Pin.

Feedback Score

I hear those are really cool....apparently Magnus shot one in Georgia and it has been all he could talk about all week.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by NedChrismas
    I hear those are really cool....apparently Magnus shot one in Georgia and it has been all he could talk about all week.
    I shot that saiga as well and it was awesome! 1 in the chamber and 10 in the mag.

Feedback Score

Default The Saiga continues...

The safety lever is next. I found that the safety lever will not go into the receiver once the B.H.O. lever has been installed. The B.H.O. lever partially blocks the safety lever opening. I removed the hammer and B.H.O. lever. I put the safety lever in the receiver and discovered that the saddle part of the lever hit the rear right leg of the trigger and then got stuck behind it!

Here is a picture comparing the original Saiga 12 trigger group to the Tapco G2.

I used the cut and try method on the rear right leg until the safety lever went by easily.

Next up: Cutting the opening for the pistol grip adaptor nut.

Basically I laid a Vulcan receiver down beside the Saiga receiver. I used a set of dial calipers to transfer the pistol grip nut hole and the front trigger guard hole locations to the Saiga receiver. Then I prick punched the center and the corners. I drilled these, then I used a Dremel tool with a cut off disk to connect the dots. I cleaned up the opening using triangle file in the picture.

Next up is the trigger guard. I twisted and bent my guard when I removed it from the Saiga cover plate. I had to spend some time getting the guard straightened out. I used a couple of rivets to dry fit the trigger guard to the receiver.

I'll show you a couple of simple rivet bucks that I made!

Yours,
    Thumb Clip Pull Pin.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.