Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My first build .. Khyber pass ak

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Srboostjunkie View Post
    Thanks guys

Akblue that's the look I want I ordered the stock pouch from rifle dynamics and a 2 point sling that will get tribal work I want to keep it off the rifle itself .. Any advice on the process of getting that finish on the receiver?
    It depends on the level of wear or BFPU. 400 grit emery paper, 000 steel wool work well to thin the finish and polish the steel at the handling/wear points. If you want to add some surface texture etc., you can use bleach on bare metal and some table salt and a water spray bottle. This will start surface rust and leave a film overnight or longer., then can be oiled and lightly cleaned down.
    Cold Blue helps to grey out areas that might be too shiny or bare. Dabs of shellac that are tacked and touched here and there add some not corrosive texture and irregular marks etc. It is quite enjoyable and in some cases more complex than a more ordinary media blast and spray with KG GunKote or bluing finish.

A few one-off parts help create the look.

Bleach & salt>

Feedback Score

Ya I'm not looking for the rust. The rifle you posted is the look I'm going for did you parkerize it then paint, just paint, cold blue ? Everywhere I read there's a different method. I would assume a khyber pass rifle would be just paint

Feedback Score

Original finish in a mix of Romy, Egyptian, Russian and Bulgarian and Galil trigger guard etc. No paint. Other methods as described above. More about how it should look., based on handling etc., A little creativity and that the parts match in terms of wear., including the sling etc. I doubt a singe point sling will be the right "look" vs a worn Russian cloth sling., but if you age it enough I guess it could work.
    All of it is reversible., beadblast and make it a shiny tourist model in 2 hours.
    In some cases I hand picked or purchased rusted and pitted parts that were being sold for rock bottom prices because of condition., perfect for a Khyber Pass build. I built several KP rifles.

Romanian RPK cut down Khyber.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Great build, congratulations!

Feedback Score

Thanks for the help akblue I'll update it when it's finished

Tommo thanks

Feedback Score

Looks great man, nice job.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

― Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I've been slowly getting the battlefield pickup look on my 5 country underfolder by throwing it into the backseat of my truck amoungst all my tools!
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Very nice first build

Do a search for battlefield or BFPU and see what info you can find. I did one with some cold blue, fine sand paper and steel wool.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.