Hey y'all watch this! The hybrid thread.......
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey y'all watch this! The hybrid thread.......

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Hey y'all watch this! The hybrid thread.......

This is the mock-up of my Micro Galil pistol project. It's been waiting for a couple of months for me to get to it.

I tried my hand at making rivet squeezers, they worked ok, then I read about how to properly use (& make them) here(Thanks Magnus!).

Anyway, I had this .064" ColdSteel Solutions blank that I bought from William at The Tannery Shop & an RPK trunion that came out of a gunshow buck box. I figured since it must be as strong as a milled receiver(heard it somewhere), why not kind-of sort-of replicate the appearance of a Galil receiver. Besides, my Micro handguards won't fit or look right on an AKM receiver. Into the mill it went....

More to come, as I get around to it.

Here it is, mocked up again. It looks pretty close from what I remember. I do need to weld the bottom forward receiver section back on.

Maybe I should find a pic of a real Micro, so I don't have to backtrack...........
    KGB member # 004

WECSOG 1984-2005

Imagine Whirled Peas

Those that can, do. Those that can't, talk about those that do.

wildmann43.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

cool man i was working on a galil/ak receiver but i moved and now i dont have a shop to finish it in but looks like your making good progress
    Allright you primitive screw heads listen up see this this is my boom stick its a 12 guage double barrel Remington. S Marts top of the line you can find this in the sporting goods department thats right this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids Michigan.retails for about $109.95 its got a walnut stock cobalt blue steel and a hair trigger.thats right shop smart shop S Mart

Ash

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

what i started out with was a square peice of bent sheet metal the demensinal height of the back of a stock ak receiver split the receiver on the folds from the magwell to the front and bent it upward and welded the seam but thats as far as i got will finish it someday tho. nice work
    Allright you primitive screw heads listen up see this this is my boom stick its a 12 guage double barrel Remington. S Marts top of the line you can find this in the sporting goods department thats right this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids Michigan.retails for about $109.95 its got a walnut stock cobalt blue steel and a hair trigger.thats right shop smart shop S Mart

Ash

Vis
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

AK-47 user and abuser since 1980.
    http://strzelecka.net

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

John-- I like the angle killing the dead space at the front although I can't make out how everything fits. The handguard from Russel?

I've got a couple of CS older receivers--put rails in but haven't used them. How do you like the fit?

Do you know where the trunnion's from? What barrel do you have for it? Do you have a bolt that fits? Have you already fit a barrel and head spaced it before riveting it in?
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Winn, that's a 1965 vintage Russian RPK trunion(from Russell's junk box). I installed the trunion & then realized the handguard sits much higher than a typical AK lower handguard. Since I am using a real IMI Micro Galil handguard instead of a Tapco Galil style handguard, I had to cut the receiver to resemble a Galil receiver. The back of the handguard was already modified for a Galil ARM receiver, which is square at the front, a Micro receiver is round at the front.

I have some AK barrel stubs of unknown origin. The threaded(milled rec) stubs have enough material to reprofile to a useable size & length. I'll turn the barrel to size, thread the muzzle for the original IMI flash hider, drill the 90* gas port, press in to headspace & pin, press on FSB/gas block & pin. I was looking for my 7.62 bolt head yesterday & couldn't find it. I also have a .223 bolt, but not a heavy enough .223 barrel blank.

The fit on the receiver blank is pretty good, even around the trunion swells. All of the blanks William orders(from ColdSteel Solutions) are 4130 & I can vouch that the material is not soft & at .064", is very strong. It rings like a wind chrime if you tap on it.
    Last edited by wildmann43; 03-29-2005 at 10:49 PM.
    KGB member # 004

WECSOG 1984-2005

Imagine Whirled Peas

wildmann43.com

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

The trunnion lockdown will only fit for a 7.62x39 bolt or is there another possibility? I've got some 5.45 barrels if you want one but the bolt is not a drop in on that trunnion.

A suggestion on your next one--it's much easier to go through the fitting and headspacing of odd lot componates if you don't have to work around the receiver.

I'm happy with the Tapco Galil Guard-- they take filing and fitting well but is there a source for the IMI?
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score

That would look AWESOME as a 9mm Pistol... maybe you should make one..its easy especially w/your tools. You got the magwells already... LOL

What allows the top cover to be stable enough to hold the sight? That would be a good sight system for my 9mm.... thanks!

JP
    It looks badass as any caliber....

Feedback Score

very nice project. i got a micro carrier and piston, would like to find a hg and other parts you have collected

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Here we are, barrel headspaced & pinned(oversize). Gas block pressed on to determine location for 90* port. I'll some measurements, press off the gas block, then drill the port.
    Pay no attention to my crappy welding. That will have to be fixed.

Winn, the trunion will also lock up a .223 bolt head, although the bullet guide is totally wrong for it.
    KGB member # 004

WECSOG 1984-2005

Imagine Whirled Peas

wildmann43.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.