2 6.25%
  • Shut up and build....something

20 62.50%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on next build

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Question Opinions on next build

With the return of my Armory receiver today I am thinking of which direction to take the next build. I have pulled every stop to come up with some folder stuff and am thinking I need to have a brother for my 101 and 105. My thought is a 103. I don't have a black 7.62 so that seems like a logical solution.
    My thought was to use a Romy kit, pull the FSB and GB, exchange them to 24mm and 90*, use the Armory and dress it in black with the polymer folder.
    Another option is a Saiga 7.62 conversion and go thru all that mess again. Lose out on the dimple, gain the Russian optics mount and have a new gun.

I am also thinking about converting my only fixed stock 5.45 to another skeleton folder, although I may wait to get another polymer stock and convert it to 74M.

Of course I have Yugo's and a Tantal coming, but that's another story all together.

Any opinions on which direction I should go?

Feedback Score

Dam , Looked at the results ha most are voting shut up and build something . I have a converted Saiga and like it . Working on a Polish folder.........So I would vote for the folder but for kicks voted shut up and build something.........

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

well here is what I think you should do........build a SBR AKS-74U. with the liberals all foaming at the mouth for another AWB, I would do that..........08 is just around the corner sort of speak, and who knows who might occupy the WH. just my 2 cents
    "I can make this march, and make georgia howl!"

Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I choose "none of the above"!!!

If it were ME, and considering the fact I've already converted one, I would choose "SOMETHING" that has a 90-degree gas block. Your Romy will NOT have that and you'll go through all the port plugging headaches that I did with my Chinese conversion. Doable? yes. PITA? yes.

ME, personally, I would either convert a Saiga (again) or choose some other 7.62 model with a vertical gas port.

That said, *I* would get a Bulgy 7.62 single-stack milled receiver for $200 from FAC, and strip it down. Scavenge the barrel assembly for your AK-103 build, then put that milled receiver under the cutting block to convert to double-stack, and use it for a milled receiver RPK clone. But that's just ME.

OTOH you could buy a $99 AK-74 barrel assembly from K-Var and ream out the parts, and plug that Romy barrel, which is exactly what I did on my AK-103 clone. OR buy a new un-cut Bulgy barrel from K-Var and build it from the ground-up with those '74 parts.

So any way you slice it, I would build an AK-103 clone.

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK/ak103.htm

Feedback Score

I dunno what you should do, but I like your polymer stock...very key man....

JP

Feedback Score

If your not going to use one of those stocks, Ill buy one.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

That gas port issue just makes me not want to convert the Romy. I had way too much time in all the conversion process on the barrel for the Saiga to 101. I just didn't give the port a second thought.
    The problem I see with the Bulgy conversion is the gas block has no lugs. Although I would end up with some decent parts left over, But the price is $269
    I thought about the 5.45 stuff from K-var, but it's sold out.
    I see money written all over this again...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I can put a lug on that!

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK...el_section.htm

I've also seen an aftermarket screw-or weld-on lug for post-ban rifles. Was pretty slick.

Don't let the port thing bother you - it really isn't THAT bad. Besides, I've done it and know what to expect! In fact IMO it is really pretty easy. The biggest challenge I faced was setting my tilting table to properly align the port for the tap. In retrospect, hand-tapping would probably be good enough.

I tapped the hole & used a threaded plug, but others have used just a piece of drill rod and either brazed it in place or I think someone many moons ago just "press fit" it into place, and let the gas block hold it in place. Suspect that was a tapered pin. If you can braze it or "press fit" the pin, then that would save you the hassle of tapping the hole like I did. I think a press fit would be completely acceptable - use a large drill to "open" the top of the hole into a taper or counter-sink, then use a pin with a part of the end peened to engage the counter-sink lip. Heck, a 3/16" rivet could probably be employed...

Feedback Score

heh even a quick spot of MIG sanded down would work OK...you wont get any in the way of the bullet if you go fast....Good luck!!

JP

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jpglee1
    heh even a quick spot of MIG sanded down would work OK...you wont get any in the way of the bullet if you go fast....Good luck!!

JP
    I strongly recommend AGAINST a MIG weld on a barrel. I had that same discussion 2 years ago when I did my AK-103 clone. The only time I'd MIG a barrel is on the very end, as with a muzzle attachment, or the chamber end due to the additional metal content.

It has been explained to me and proven (on paper) that the metallurgical changes that MIG heat will impress upon the metal will warp a kink into the barrel, no way around it. Look it up, heat transfer in metal and the effects thereof. Even if you anchor the barrel in a vise, the metal is changed by the heat and will thus be altered.

Brazing will probably do the same, but since the heat absorption is spread along a larger area and more slowly, it would not be as bad, so that should be OK. Still taking a risk, however. Thus my suggestion of a 'press fit' to anchor the plug...

If you try welding, be damned sure you understand how the metal will react and adjust accordingly. TIG is probably the best, and even then you run the risk of ruining a barrel. That had better be a F-A-S-T weld.

Hopefully someone who knows more about welding will chime in here...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.