Saiga 223 Conversion to Saiga Krink
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saiga 223 Conversion to Saiga Krink

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Saiga 223 Conversion to Saiga Krink

Here are some pics of the conversion on my Saiga 223.

ATF disclaimer- all of the pictures are a work in progress. Once the last picture was taken, the weapon had a barrel extension installed (fake can) and my FORM 1 was mailed off. All the work was done at a FFL 07 SOT and therefore legal. I would never recommend anyone making a SBR without the tax stamp or unless they have a FFL 07 with the SOT paid. If you do make one, don't post pictures because the POST POLICE will be all over you.

First step was to convert to use standard NON-MODIFIED Bulgy 5.56/Polish 5.56 mags

This is the feedramp I used. It came from a Folding 5.45 trunion (2 rivet style).
    You can use a standard 5.45 trunion, but you must remove the bump on the bottom so it is not flat. The bottom of the ramp must be round. Also, you must cut a notch in the ramp to clear the BOLT TURN RIVET.

This is a picture of the feed ramp in place and the holes center punched.

This is the picture of the drilling of the center hole and with the bolt in place.
    The Feedramp is held in place with a lock nut and bolt. There is only one holding it in place. There was not enough room on the side hole to do the same. I am gonna get a drop of weld in that hole.

Now, time for the conversion to accept NON-MODIFIED mags
    In the picture, the purple arrows show where you must grind down and the blue arrow show the feed ramp

This picture shows a Polish 5.56 mag body installed in the modified trunion

Time for RANGE test prior to anything else.
    Worked GREAT, no problems.
    Now, time for the conversion
    Strip the receiver down

Receiver stripped down with just the front trunion installed

I don't have any pictures of the welded up receiver by itself, so I am sorry about that.
    For covering the original rear trigger hole, I installed a Pistol Grip Renforecment plate. If covered them up. Now for the rear mounted trigger pins, I just had the welded up.
    On my conversion, I wanted it cleaned up. So I had the "HANDLE WITH CARE" crap welded over. I also had the old rear-mounted trigger pins covered up.
    And the I did have the other holes welded up on the bottom that were not being used.
    I sent it off to Steve Sawyer, MOPARMAN over @ AR15.com.
    He engraved the russian selector marks and re-engraved the importer info to the bottom in from of the mag well.

Now, for the fun part. My conversion is to make it a KRINK.
    So this picture shows the stripped Saiga barrel next to a stripped 5.45 krink barrel.

I didn't have any pictures of the rebuild proccess, guess the excitement kinda made us forget to take pictures.
    But here is the finished product
    Some of the pictures don't show a Upper handguard on the gun, just the tube. This was a work in progress.

Something that I found out after the selector stops were cut, the selector on a Saiga has the "nipple" in the wrong spot. It is farther out towards the end.
    You can really see what I am talking about in this picture. See how the selector mark goes thru the middle of the letters

This picture shows the filled in selector cuts, the new selector(bulgy) and the new selector cuts.

the completed weapon prior to finishing. Notice the new moved importer marks on the bottom in front of the mag well

The lower handguard is a cut down Saiga handguard. The upper is a modified bulgy 74. The pistol grip is a Polish Beryl.

You can use silver solder paste to fill in any marks that are not needed.
    You can either BRAZE or WELD the rear trigger pins
    Last edited by DrugRunR; 04-08-2005 at 11:09 PM.
    Member of the
    There may be help for some of us, but for me I am lost...

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

DrugRunR,

Great project, as you know by now I got the Saiga stuff coming from Pantera. How hard is it to find Polish 5.56 mags and price too?

To clarify, my project is going to be quite different from a usual Saiga conversion. The receiver will not be standard and I have an idea to utilize AR15 mags instead of expensive hard to locate AK mags.

I don't want to go into too much detail because I have some concepts I need to work out first.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I am the only source of Polish 5.56 mags. Any that are here came thru me.
    Cost was $45 each.
    I don't have any for sale right now, and don't have any plans to import any more.
    My supplier is out of the country and I have been unable to contact him for a couple months now.

I have a Galil adaptor that takes ar mags. But will not fit in a standard AK receiver.
    But if you are gonna perm mod the receiver, then that is another story.
    I own a Sam5, so i wanted unmodifed mags
    Member of the

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DrugRunR
    I am the only source of Polish 5.56 mags. Any that are here came thru me.
    Cost was $45 each.
    I don't have any for sale right now, and don't have any plans to import any more.
    My supplier is out of the country and I have been unable to contact him for a couple months now.

I have a Galil adaptor that takes ar mags. But will not fit in a standard AK receiver.
    But if you are gonna perm mod the receiver, then that is another story.
    I own a Sam5, so i wanted unmodifed mags

Cool, I think AR mags will be good, because this receiver will be home made and not even look like an AK receiver.
    Last edited by Sangrun Hunter; 04-08-2005 at 01:47 PM.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Wow! That looks really nice!
    Fantastic job.
    I wish I had the camera you did. You did a great job on the pics.
    BTW what kind of camera is it. I feel guilty I can't get close ups for mine.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I should clarify, I import bulk amounts of 5.56 mags.
    Some 5.56 mags were brought in via blackmarket in quanities under 5.
    Those pictures were taken with a sony.
    You can get a decent digital camera for around $250

I paid $75 for the adaptor, but it will not work without modifications to the weapon itself. If you want it, I can let you have it for $50 shipped.
    Also, this is just a thought... you could make the weapon take Galil mags, those are cheap and availible. Then you could use the adaptor to use AR mags.
    Member of the

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

I was waiting for you to post those pictures. Glad you finally did. Looks great Charles.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Nice! Would have like to see some build pics. Did you have to lathe down the journal section for the krink hinge block?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

sorry... I posted all the ones that were taken.

On the barrel, EVERYTHING was turned down. The only thing that was not touched was the trunion portion.
    There was a fuck up on the section for the FSB/GB. It was turned down 2 or 3 thousands too much. Had to silver solder the FSB/GB on.

On a Krink barrel there are 4 critical areas
    (1) Trunion - this section should be untouched
    (2) Rear Site block
    (3) Handguard retainer
    (4) Front site block/gas block

You do it in steps.

You turn the entire barrel except for trunion area down to the rear site block size.
    You then mark off the section you need to the rear site block.
    You then turn the rest down to the handguard size
    Then you mark off the section for the handguard.
    you then turn own the rest to the fsb/gb size
    Member of the

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Ah don't ya hate it when those slip on??? The good thing is that you'll never know it happened!

I did that to my AMD barrel and welded it back to size by "splatter welding" (forget exactly what it is called now) which I actually read about some time ago. Basically you build up the area with just enough little weld balls that they get usable. You're just putting a bit of surface onto the existing material, then filing down. It worked surprisingly well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.