Scoring TAPCO flat to bend??

Thread: Scoring TAPCO flat to bend??

Feedback Score

Default Scoring TAPCO flat to bend??

Hey guys...I got a whacked out idea the other day...Since TAPCO type flats are pretty cheap compared to the laser cut variety I got to thinking of an easier way to bend 1 or 2 of them instead of making a bending jig...

I have a small table saw that will accept 5/8" arbor cut off wheels....Would there be any reason I couldnt put a THIN cut-off wheel in my table saw, set it to be approx .02" above the table and then use the rip fence to put some thin score lines in the flat to allow an easy bend-to line for vice bending the material.... I thought about doing it with a dremel and a slitting saw in a mill but I dont think either of those ways would work so well. I have no problem welding the flat up where I sliced it to allow it to bend....

Barring being able to control the depth of the cut precisely enough, has anyone had any luck actually cutting a TAPCO style flat into (3) pieces and welding them together???.....

I know I myself am capable of doing just about anything with sheetmetal given enough time and effort expelled...I want to try to allow a u-weld it or u-bend it type setup w/out spending $50 each time on a laser flat ($29.99 + $10 for rails + $10 for shipping...*cough*) especially since I cut 2" off the bastard anyway in the process of "californication" to the receiver....

Thanks for any advice/help.

Feedback Score

I have seen others do it that way with no problem. Do a search and you might be able to find it.

Feedback Score

Done it. I used one of those air cutoff tools with an abrasive wheel. I scored the flat, then bent it. I believe it was suggested in one of the forums here about 8-10 months ago? Maybe by "charger" or something like that? I will look back and see if I can find the thread.
    A village in Massachusetts got their idiot back.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Allright you primitive screw heads listen up see this this is my boom stick its a 12 guage double barrel Remington. S Marts top of the line you can find this in the sporting goods department thats right this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids Michigan.retails for about $109.95 its got a walnut stock cobalt blue steel and a hair trigger.thats right shop smart shop S Mart

Ash

Feedback Score

That's the guy! I knew it was charger something!

Feedback Score

Makes me think of the Dukes' theme sound...the calvalry charge...LOL..

THANKS for the link. I think this might be the best all around way to do an AK receiver for a guy like me. Im just lazy, I have a press in my garage and the bending jigs are super simple to make... BUT I dont anticipate needing more than 5 flats total. Once I get my letter back approved from CA DOJ I hope to start building a new "CA" approved AK. I figure out some simple ways to modify the design enough that not many of the original (un altered) AK parts will go in...Stuff like using pins w/E-clips on the FCG to allow bigger pin holes (AK FCG wont work that way)... relocating the notches in the upper rails to allow the bolt carrier to go in 1" further forward. Also requires modding carrier lips the same distance. Also going to add a blocking bar above the FCG to prevent a standard AK carrier from even being inserted.... Then I am going to use SAIGA stock w/a 2nd AK trigger and a push rod going between the 2 left side "sear" arms on the 2 triggers. Front trigger will have the actual trigger bow whacked off flush. Different than a SAIGA that way and different than an AK...IF they dont buy that then I will try using AR-15 FCG parts.....I sent it all in writing to DOJ so we'll see what they say.

Thanks for the links!!!

Feedback Score

Your post reminds me why every day I thank the gods that I don't live in Kalifornia.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.