Thread: Johnson 1941 rotary magazine for .308 Saiga??

Feedback Score

Default Johnson 1941 rotary magazine for .308 Saiga??

Hey guys.....

I had a truly cool idea today... Why not use a Johnson 1941 10rd rotary magazine in a Saiga/Dragunov type build for CALIFORNIA???

Here's the mag im talking about:

http://world.guns.ru/rifle/rfl20-e.htm

here's some Johnson background:

http://www.johnsonautomatics.com/History.htm

See, Im always thinking HOW I can build myself a .308 for california. I have talked with the DOJ and BATF repeatedly and the general consesus is that if I build it in .308, eliminate the PG and figure out a viable fixed 10rd magazine that isnt a simple lockout like the FAL conversions then I *should* get approved to build it. I have been thinking on this for a while of HOW to do it...as we all know the AK carrier prevents a *traditional* stripper clip arrangement.

Well, this got me to thinking about the above Johnson system. Im wondering if there would be any reason I couldnt adapt the Johnson type system to feed .308 or 762x39 rounds? Maybe I could reverse engineer one from the patent drawings. Compared to a BIZON magazine this looks like it would be easier... Im thinking make the magazine body from sheets of .060" steel. Cut 2 donuts for front and back and roll strips of steel between them to make the body? Then its a matter of slitting the inner wall to allow a spring loaded arm to come thru and push the rounds to the feed lip.... I dunno. Im sure Pookster or Justin (CNC dude) could come up with something like this. Im horrible at geometry and figuring radii etc...

Anyway, how does that sound for a CA legal AK?? Maybe even do it w/ a 762x39 using a shorter version of the mag than the .308 version. Technically it would be legal to keep the PG that way too, altho I would try to distance its aesthetics away from the AK's evil looks by using the SAIGA stock.... Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by jpglee1; 04-15-2005 at 04:16 PM.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

You have an over active imagination

Feedback Score

Well thank you Imagination = innovation..... Imagination is like a muscle. The more you use it the stronger/better it becomes.

Imagine if, when MR. AK was recovering in the military hospital where he designed our beloved AK, the nurse had ridiculed him and said "you have an over active imagination".. we prolly wouldnt even be having this conversation on this gunboard right now....LOL...

Anyway, I reject your reality and substitute my own (in the words of Adam Savage, LOL)....

I was just fondling my SKS and I realized you can load it thru the bottom with the magazine opened...That might be an even easier way to do a CA AK. Use a perm. attached SKS magazine. Drop the mag cover down and hand stack the rounds in there. It goes pretty fast. You could also use strippers if you made a simple guide.... Hrm. I will have to look into it further

Feedback Score

[QUOTE=jpglee1]Hey guys.....

I had a truly cool idea today... Why not use a Johnson 1941 10rd rotary magazine in a Saiga/Dragunov type build for CALIFORNIA???

Here's the mag im talking about:

http://world.guns.ru/rifle/rfl20-e.htm

This site is showing a sporterized Johnson made up by Winfield Arms circa '50-'51.

Feedback Score

? When I look at it I see 2 side pics of a Johnson 1941 semi-auto and a pic of the magazine from the patent... Thanks for the input.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.