First Build Almost Done
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Build Almost Done

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default First Build Almost Done

Well since the weather was lousy yesterday, I finally got on the ball and worked on my builds.

Here's what started to be a pistol and ended up a rifle. But this one is ready to be painted just in time for the shoot this weekend. I still need to finish the pistol grip, but Hey, at least it's a compliance part no matter how ugly it is. I still need to finish welding my barrel extension. I just tacked it so I could fire a few rounds to make sure nothing was going to hit it.

Here's what my furniture started out as. A storm took out a walnut tree in my yard last year, and I saved the wood for just such occasions.

And here's what it looks like at the moment. Still needs a little polishing and sanding here and there, but I was in a hurry to finish before this weekend.

And the pistol grip:

I hope to finish my pistol before the shoot as well, but at least I'll have one under my belt. I'll take it in the primer if I have to.

Hey , Is the gunrage up for a paint job????
    You only have the rights you are willing to fight for.
    I Like 1911's.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Lookin good!

Feedback Score

Way to go preacher! Is that your 1st build for real? I dont believe that!

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mbadboyz
    Way to go preacher! Is that your 1st build for real? I dont believe that!
    Yeah, very first one. Oh there's a few mistakes that had to be fixed. A few holes welded over and smoothed, a notch in the top rails cut in the wrong place also welded up & Dremeled down, but it's a working beast now.

I completely screwed up my first blank and had to use another. But I was able to cut some rails and other various parts from the scrap. I also had to make my own selector stop on this build. It would feed from the left side of the mag, but not the right. I took the selector stop clear out, and it fed fine.

So what I did was made another stop from thinner metal (out of the scrap blank) and I cut the notch for the mag clear through so that the tab on the mag rest on the reciever. Fixed 'er right up.

I learned a lot of things on this build. Plus getting a few tricks from the Glovers Gap Grandpa never hurts.
    I Like 1911's.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher
    Yeah, very first one. Oh there's a few mistakes that had to be fixed. A few holes welded over and smoothed, a notch in the top rails cut in the wrong place also welded up & Dremeled down, but it's a working beast now.

I completely screwed up my first blank and had to use another. But I was able to cut some rails and other various parts from the scrap. I also had to make my own selector stop on this build. It would feed from the left side of the mag, but not the right. I took the selector stop clear out, and it fed fine.

So what I did was made another stop from thinner metal (out of the scrap blank) and I cut the notch for the mag clear through so that the tab on the mag rest on the reciever. Fixed 'er right up.

I learned a lot of things on this build. Plus getting a few tricks from the Glovers Gap Grandpa never hurts.
    Now that your a pro, what is going to be your next build? Did you get a Romy kit? Yugo?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mbadboyz
    Now that your a pro, what is going to be your next build? Did you get a Romy kit? Yugo?
    I'm still waiting on a Yugo kit to come in. I've got a few ideas on building a blank to fit the bulges.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus
    AND THAT WELD CAME OUT OK HUH I WAS ALITTLE WOORIEDD ABOUT THAT, BECAUSE OF THE HAND. GALD TO HEAR IT'S OK.
    Yeah, turned out OK. Although that's not the one in the pic. I still need to weld over the rear trunnion and it'll be be ready to go. Once everything was bolted in place, I had to do a little trimming on my rails. Just need to do a little polishing now and it'll be ready to go. I went ahead and robbed my pistol furniture and put it on my rifle for compliance parts, so now I gotta make another set.
    I Like 1911's.

Feedback Score

I like the furniture and the deep brown color of it. I also like the story and the before and after pics. "Handguard from the front yard" nice job.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

ChiTown. Are you a wrestler??

The front furniture had weather stains, but I went ahead and varnished them. The PG also had the stains, but I rubbed Clorox on it and that took the stains right off. All of my wood still needs to be sanded and smoothed a little more. I'm going to strip the varnish off after the shoot and do a little more to them.

But Hey. I couldn't show up to the shoot without an AK. Someone might have laughed at me.
    I Like 1911's.

Feedback Score

preacher what are ya using for the final finish? Looking pretty good..now your gonna have to buy lots of ammo..
    you got to kill it to grill it...Ted Nugent

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Well since is still looking for chemicals, I'm probably just going to give it a light coat of paint. Then after were ready to Park, I'll wire brush it down and do it the right way.
    I Like 1911's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.