Gunco Forums banner

My first build and it is a Yugo Underfolder

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  grasshopper 
#1 ·
I guess it picked a hard one for my first build ever. Thanks to everyone on this board. I could not have done it without all the info everyone have provided here. THANKS.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
very nice!!

Very nice grasshopper!! I am encouraged as I have picked a Yugo underfolder for my first project as well. I think I'll try to score one of cwtoyota's 100% receivers for my build. He is pretty close to me here in western WA, and I really like the look of his receivers.
As a matter of fact, the UPS man just dropped off my package from Centerfire, and my computer keys are getting cosmoline stains on them even as I type....LOL.
I did a quick once over on the kit before I came in to jump on the board, and I have a question. From my quick check out of my kit, it looks to be a numbers matching kit. Bolt,bolt carrier, top cover, and torch cut receiver parts all have the same #. Is there a part # on the barrel assembly some place? Any other place? Did I get lucky with a numbers matching, or is this pretty common?
I haven't had time to clean out the bore yet, but so far, even with all the gunk still in it, it looks at least ok. Blueing looks to be over 90% too.
Dang....I want to go out and start disassembly, but I have to be at my father in laws 90th bday party. Think they'd mind if I ground rivets while he opened gifts?...:naughty:

#8 · (Edited)
rickomatic ,You are lucky. Mine is not matching. If you have the RPK trunnion type, there is a serial number on it. If you have a regular flat trunnion type, I don't think there is one except the electria penned number. Are you going to rivets yours? FYI, Tapco front,center,real rivets are too short. so don't even try it, you will have to drill them out. I ordered 1lb of 3/16 2inch extra long rivets to replace the ones i have. send me an email, i will mail you 3 for free.

#10 ·
making progress

I am leaning towards rivets, grasshopper. I am still in the learning stage and not sure exactly how I am going to proceed. I probably have a few weeks of research before I actually dive in. I did notice that I do not have the heavier front trunion, but the flat/smooth one. I have been disassembling stuff and am learning even as I do that. One thing that I noticed, is that the barrel dosen't come out as easily as it sounds....LOL. The barrel pin came out in a snap. But when I tried the gear puller method to remove the barrel, it kept slipping off the trunion, and I was afraid I would damage it. I filed off the rivet heads and drilled out the ones not behind the barrel, and pried off the remaining part of the torched receiver. Now here is something that I hadn't read here. When I pried off that piece of receiver from the front trunion, it looked as though there were spot welds between the two top rivets helping to secure it to that front trunion. Is that normal?
I'm going away for the long weekend, and I will contemplate whether I want to spring for a HF shop press to get the barrel off, or if I want to try one of pookie's methods.
Now, since I don't have the heftier trunion, will I still need those bigger rivets, or will the normal rivet sets still work?

#12 ·
I left the barrel in the trunion and pressed the rivets. it's a lot easier and you don't have to worry about the head space. I have seem several posts regarding the spot welds on the front and rear trunion so i would say that is normal. I think you are ok on the rivets since you have the regular trunion. Good luck and have fun. I did. :)

#14 ·
Hey, grasshopper, I'm not understanding something about the front trunion rivets. Aren't there four (two each side top) rivets whose heads are between the inside of the trunion and the breech of the barrel? How do you get rid of those without taking out the barrel, and get new ones in? Seems to be just barely enough space between the inside rivet heads and the barrel? Am I missing something?
Thanks

#15 ·
rickomatic said:
Hey, grasshopper, I'm not understanding something about the front trunion rivets. Aren't there four (two each side top) rivets whose heads are between the inside of the trunion and the breech of the barrel? How do you get rid of those without taking out the barrel, and get new ones in? Seems to be just barely enough space between the inside rivet heads and the barrel? Am I missing something?
Thanks
I used a 3/16 bit. Set the stopper on drill press to 3/16 or 5mm and drill very carefully

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.