Thread: Which finish process do you prefer and why?

Feedback Score

Default Which finish process do you prefer and why?

Have an M92 yugo krink kit and am going sbr with it. Also have a Bulgy 7.62 (KVAR) krink kit coming and intend to go the pistol route with it. Will be building both on Global 1.6mm parked receivers and want a semi-gloss black finish. Duracoat or Gunkote or Molyresin and why?

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

The "ONLY" reason I use GunKote is because I don't have a bead blasting cabinet so that I can phosphate. GunKote is very good in resisting gun cleaning and other solvents but will and can scrach easily (unless you sand/bead blast). I've tried AlumaHyde paint and it just wipes off with Birchwood-Casey Gun Scrubber so I use Gun Kote.

Just give me a blasting cabinet and a good compressor and I'll give you all the GunKote I have.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I also use the GunKote, I like it for its durability and chemical resistance. I blast the piece then do several washes in acetone to degrease, preheat the part apply the coating, air dry for 1/2 hr then bake. If you look around from a week or 2 ago you can see the picture of the amd-63 I just completed. Its a little more expensive, but worth it in my opinion.

Tom

Feedback Score

I think parking is the best method. It actually gets into the metal unlike painting and baking.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

GunKote over Park.... if I can get the Park Otherwise? GunKote over KPhos (sold by KG Coatings as well).

Used....

Alumahyde II
    Brownell's Baking Laquer
    MolyResin
    DuraCoat
    1600 degree Duplicolor Engine Paint

ALL have solvent, "blackness", or application issues. GunKote goes on & stays on, as long as you clean well. And it has the best wear characteristics of any of the above.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Trotsky
    GunKote over Park.... if I can get the Park Used....

Alumahyde II
    Brownell's Baking Laquer
    MolyResin
    DuraCoat
    1600 degree Duplicolor Engine Paint

ALL have solvent, "blackness", or application issues. .
    I agree after this past week I had some real bad luck with paint. no I did not try guncoat. you just cant miss with park. I fully believe it is the best!! easy too

Feedback Score

I'm hooked on molyresin. If you prep the peice completely, i.e. sandblast, degrease, heat and spray, then bake for 1 hour at 300 degrees, the molyresin wears like iron! It's fast and easy to use in my opinion. I did my MAADI MISR in flat black. The only "problem" area is the selector lever "mark" left after repeated use. I like it so well that I just ordered some Semi-gloss for my INTRAC MAADI. I'll post pics when I'm done.....

JMHO

Feedback Score

I like paint over parking..............

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.