Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dura Coat Thinner/Cleaner

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

Default Dura Coat Thinner/Cleaner

Does anyone know what to use to thin and cleanup (airbrush) the Dura Coat paint?

I have the paint and the instructions say to use "THEIR" reducer for thining and cleanup but I don't have it. Is it like MEK or something like that?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

You shouldnt have to thin it for use . Mek is great for clean up , but I usually use carb cleaner on the spray gun .
    Will Hayden, RedJacket Firearms
    www.Redstick-Firearms.com

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

Thanks for the info.

I wasn't really concerned about thinning as much as cleaning up my equipment. I know that some paints (GunKote) require cleanup with MEK or your spray nozzles will lock/freeze/clog up. I don't want that to happen to my spray stuff.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

to clean the spray gun, my instuctions said to use lacquer thinner. I have used it with good results.
    I know nothing...........nothing !

RLB
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Hey TK how did the Dura-coat work out and what air pressure are you
    using?

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gunkgy
    to clean the spray gun, my instuctions said to use lacquer thinner. I have used it with good results.
    Your right, just found this info on DuraCoat.

http://www.houtsenterprises.com/dur_faq.html

Feedback Score

Did the durakote hide any minor scratches or dents?

I have an AMD-65 build that I am well on my way to getting done and I managed to put a few small dents up by the front trunion when I bucked the rivets when I squashed them... I see that Durakote sells a filler and I didn't order that originally but I am thinkig it might help make my build a little less WECSOG if I could fill in ome of these love marks...

I also considered a little JB weld as a filler but that might be a PITA for as small of scrateches and dents that I want to hide.

Lastly, did you refinish the entire gun or just the receiver? If anybody do the whole gun, did you blast or strip the finish off the original parts?

I have the Durakote starter kit (Matte Black) and my parts kit is not a minty kind of kit so everything could use a new finish... I just don't know if I should buff things up a little with steel wool or light sand paper and repaint or do I need to blast this little bugger and then paint?

The Mad Messenger Zane Zackerly's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I'd like to know if there are gun cleaners to avoid on a completely cured duracoat finish. I mostly use Break-Free, but are there any cleaners which can damage a completely cured duracoat finish?
    "I Am the Mad Messenger From the Edge"

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

What I used the DuraCoat for was painting an ACE AKSMS scope mount for another forum member. I gotta say that DuraCoat is "FOUL". I mean you gotta use a respirator or something. It will take hair off Rosie O'Donell's chest!!!

Right now, I'm not to impressed with it, maybe after it hardens (2-3 weeks) it might be okay but Gun Scrubber removes it. So far the only thing that Gun Scrubber doesn't touch is GunKote.

As far as minor scratches, I don't think it will hide those but yours might be small enough that it will. Since DuraCoat is a 2 part mix (12 to1) I had just a little bit left in the airbrush bottle and sprayed my bolt cutter tips with it (matte black). The link is here....HF 18" Bolt Cutter Riveter Finished you can check out the finish to see if it will do what you want.

Feedback Score

Thanks... I need to practice a little and find some finish I like as I am almost done with my third build and my first rivet build and I learned a few things with this last build especially about supporting the receiver when bucking the rivets... After this build I am doing a cut-a-way build then it is time to see if I can do a couple "safe queen" worthy builds (PMKMS, Tantial, AMD-65 SBR, M-92 Krink SBR)...

The finishing just makes me nervous as I have no experience doing it...

Looking at the images on your bolt cutters they look good... For my current build I can live with some marks as this will be one of my regular range guns and it will not get babbied... When I pay my taxes, I just want to make sure I have practiced finishing and found a finish that I like before I need to do those receivers.

For my big builds I was planning to build those on Global receivers with matching serial numbers to my kits. If I need more practice I still have some Rommy kits I can build

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.