Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Refinishing Hugarian SA-85 stocks

The Gun Nut of Gun Nuts noonanda's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Postak Refinishing Hugarian SA-85 stocks

For those of you who bought one and need to/plan to refinish the stocks, Minwax colonial Maple matches the color pretty good, maybe a little bit orangee, but pretty darn close to the color and alot like the AMD-63 stock color. I steamed and lightly sanded last night, stained a few minutes ago and its a pretty close match

Just an FWI
    Last edited by Sangrun Hunter; 10-09-2005 at 11:10 PM.
    Noonanda
    GySgt USMC

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence
    on those who would do us harm _ George Orwell

"I Like Marines, because being a Marine is a serious business. We're not a social club or fraternal organization and we don't pretend to be one. We're a Brotherhood of "WARRIORS", Nothing more, Nothing less, Pure and Simple. We are in the Ass-Kicking Business, and Unfortunately, these days business is good." COL J.M. LOWE, USMC 2004

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Will you post photos when you get to a good point to do so?

Did I do that?

The Gun Nut of Gun Nuts noonanda's Avatar
    Feedback Score

once I finish it with Tung oil I'll post some pics for you all, If it comes out as nice as I hope it will the wood will get put on my Romie till I build the SA-85, will have to order a reciever and rivets, maybe next month
    Noonanda
    GySgt USMC

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence
    on those who would do us harm _ George Orwell

"I Like Marines, because being a Marine is a serious business. We're not a social club or fraternal organization and we don't pretend to be one. We're a Brotherhood of "WARRIORS", Nothing more, Nothing less, Pure and Simple. We are in the Ass-Kicking Business, and Unfortunately, these days business is good." COL J.M. LOWE, USMC 2004

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Lightbulb

Just thought i would chime in here. A while ago, I bought some handguards that came off a postban SA-85m. They were dirty and a little nicked but no big deal. The grip was bought from someone not using the wood on his AMD-65. LoL, this is when the fad was in to make your '65 not look like a '65. I knew it would pass so I bought all the wood Hungarian grips I found....now look... surprise, no one has any... but anyway, back to my story.
    I wanted a Kessnar import SA-85 but couldnt afford it so I bought a Polish PMKMS kit. I got these handguards for this specific reason, to make this look like one
    To refinish the wood, I completely stripped the handguards and one of my pistol grips. I sanded the bejeezus outta it and finished it with 4 coats of MINWAX HONEY PINE and I applied it with a sponge. Minimal brush marks are visible and the surface is like hard plastic after it dried.

This is how I intend to refinish the wood on my SA-85 kit but I am thinking of bleaching it. Dunno yet. I am happy with the above results. Hope this helps someone. You can see that the honey-pine is a very close match.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Before any staining happens...

If no one else cruises the C&R forums? Hungarian Wood reacts very well to a VIOLENT cleaning with Purple Power... sucks most of that crap gun oil right out of the birdseye wood. Follow up about 2-3 scrubbings with some 2 part wood bleach (Peroxide based). You will be very pleased

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by C_Kassidy
    so I bought all the wood Hungarian grips I found....now look... surprise, no one has any... .
    There is a company that is selling them online for $7 each......

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

A good scrubbing with acetone or laquer thinner would be good. I've tried to use purple power and similar products on some old c&r mausers and enfields. I ended up with a bunch of discolored streaking.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by meyerse
    There is a company that is selling them online for $7 each......

That company is Joken..

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

JoeKen.
    Anyways, back on the topic. You can use Formbys poly remover to get any old poly off the stocks, then sand them. Soak them in bleach water. How long depends on you, I mean, do you want them brought out lighter or white ? When they dry, you can sand out most wood imperfections.

This is a set of really nasty dirty Romanian wood that I soaked for 3 1/2 hours in highly concentrated Clorox bleach water. Less time would be less bleaching but I wanted these white for the full effect of the stain I was gonna use.
    This method might work for you as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RLB
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

What ratio of bleach to water? I might have to try that.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.