Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Romanian AK Furniture...UGLY?

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

Default Romanian AK Furniture...UGLY?

Well, I stripped off the shellac from the stock and lower handguard. I think I use a 55 gal. drum of stripper. I have never seen so much shellac in my life.

Anyway, because there was so much shellac on the wood, it appeared smooth but after removal, the wood surface is very uneven. Is this normal? Also the wood looks plain ugly, I hope to lighten the finish up by doing the bleach thing.

Another thing, when sanding your supposed to sand with the grain but this is laminate with grain in two directions, what do you do.

I know people show pictures of their "finished" furniture but I decided to show the stripped/unfinished look. Do these pieces look like "nice" looking wood prior to finishing?

Oh, I have re-finished rifle furniture before, just never saw anything this "ugly".

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Let it dry out real good and start sanding , I think you'll be alright . I would use a d.a. sander and some 320 grit to knock the bark off of it ,then handsand it down
    Will Hayden, RedJacket Firearms
    www.Redstick-Firearms.com

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)

just use different grits of sandpaper

180, 220,320,400, etc.

use the coarser first and work your way down until its as smooth
    as you like.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

It'll lighten up and look much better.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I've refinished a few of the Romy stock sets. If you really want to lighten it up a bit, soak it in a bleach/water combo for a few hours. I've done that with mine with good results.

Feedback Score

www.ironwooddesigns.com has some good finishing tips. they also have U.S. ak and fal stocks.

No Rest For The Wicked wickedmedic's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by RottenII
    I've refinished a few of the Romy stock sets. If you really want to lighten it up a bit, soak it in a bleach/water combo for a few hours. I've done that with mine with good results.
    What is the ratio of bleach to water?

Master Endmill Breaker Rhino_66's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Mine looked exactly like yours after I stripped the shellac. I used lacquer thinner to strip the pieces. An overnight soaking gets them down to bare wood. They don't come out too badly after a bleaching.

I just sprayed them down with bleach-based bathroom cleaner. The reddish tint on your parts will just run off once the bleach hits them. A little coaxing with some scotch brite will make quick work of any remaining stain. I let them soak for about an hour, and then rinsed with hot water. I repeated this process a couple of times until they lightened up to my liking.

The pic makes them look a little darker. Under direct sunlight, they're really light. I haven't decided what color to stain them yet. I was thinking about using Minwax Ipswitch Pine for this set.

The most damning evidence is the truth.

That which does not kill you, really really really hurts...

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

Thanks for the quick responses.

After looking at the lower handguard a little closer, it looks like I'll have to do quite a bit of sanding. The handguard is really off center (looks strange) and as much as .060" will have to be removed from the LH side. The .060" equates to one layer (maybe a little more) of laminate.

I guess with that much material having to be removed a power sander is needed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wickedmedic
    What is the ratio of bleach to water?
    I did about 50/50. I did scrub it down with straight bleach before I dropped it in the bucket.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.