Thread: How do you remove the metal from the handguards?

Feedback Score

Default How do you remove the metal from the handguards?

I noticed the lower has some teeth pressed in which, some how, must come out. How?

Also, the upper HG appears to be permanently affixed to the metal. Any way to remove it? I'd like to GUNKOTE all the metal and buy new wood from Ironwood.

Feedback Score

with the upper I think you need to hold on the the metal part and turn the wood. I think (not sure i forgot actually) but i think the lower you use a small screw driver??

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

For the spring on the lower, you can gently pry on it with a screwdriver and it should slide off without much damage to the wood. Prying the "teeth" up a little might be required, then bending them down again when reinstalling. The upper is best done with a vise. Clamp the flats at the rear of the tube in a vise and then rotate the wood 180 degees. Sometimes it will take some back and fort movement to get it lose, sometimes one direction is easier than the other.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

what kernelkrink said PLUS......dont squeeze the upper to much or distort it out of shape when rotating it becaue it will crack and split if not break off completely. Be gently and use a gentle force to remove it. I use a medium-large pair of water pump pliers so I can bring it up to my chest like opening a jar of pickles. That is where all your power is. Some are easy to rotate and some are glued with finish so go slow and be gentle....
    FIREARM REFINISHING AT ITS FINEST !

Refinishing and Builds
    AK and variants
    FAL/AR-15/Handguns/Shotguns

Affordable prices/Licensed Gunsmith
    4 to 6 week turnaround
    -Send an email for a price quote today and
    check out our website-

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Thanks, mine was kind of a tight fit. I used a little soap to get it to spin easy. Check this link: http://www.ak-47.us/BreakDown.php

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.