1994 Gun Kote
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1994 Gun Kote

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

Default 1994 Gun Kote

Well, after hardening the hammer/trigger holes on my ACE receiver it started to rust a little. Normally I bead blast then phosphate, but since I don't have access to the bead blaster right now, I decided to use Gun Kote to protect the finish until I'm able to phosphate.

I had some Gun Kote Flat Black that was purcahsed back in 1994. Guess what? The stuff had solidified with an oily like substance on top. I stuck a screwdriver into the muck and started stirring. About 20 minutes later everything was well mixed but quite thick. So I added acetone and it seemed ok. I then sanded my ACE receiver, cleaned it up, stuck it in the oven at 180 degrees and then sprayed many light coats re-heating back to 180 degrees between coats. Then heated it for 1 hour at 300 degrees. Let it cool then put oil on it. I must say that the color finish doesn't match the original. The original is a more shiney black (kinda) and the Gun Kote looks a little brownish black compared to the original but overall it doesn't look THAT" bad.

The finish seems hard as it didn't come off (yet) when moving the selector lever. I wonder if it was a newer batch, the finish might be more blackish? Anyone use Flat Black Gun Kote and compare it to the original AMD finish?

"Click On Picture to Enlarge"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Toten Kopf; 09-01-2004 at 04:45 PM. Reason: To Add Information

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

What would the effect have been if you baked the finish at 300 degrees after each coat? Whats the difference between MEK and Acetone? The manufacturer suggests thinning with MEK. Just some thoughts. By the way, your AK looks really nice! Jack
    Be sure to check out:
    www.warroom.com
    and
    www.michaelsavage.com

What ever it is I'm against it.
    Always question authority.

Feedback Score

The amd finish is more of a glossy black. Gun Kote comes in a glossy black as well. You think the Glossy black would be better for amd builds?

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

scubadvr.................

LOL.....now that you mention MEK, I think that's what it was (acetone was on my mind for some reason). It's just been so long since I used it and the can is unmarked, I just keep it with the GunKote and my airbrush.

As far as heating the part to 300 degrees between coats, I just don't know. The instructions say just re-heat to 180 degrees so that's what I did.

Thanks for the kind comment of the AMD. The picture looks better at it's full size (1024x768), I think it loses something when you shrink it down to post.

mbadboyz..............

I really don't know what the GunKote glossy black would look like. When I bought this stuff flat black was all they had.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Toten Kopf
    scubadvr.................

LOL.....now that you mention MEK, I think that's what it was (acetone was on my mind for some reason). It's just been so long since I used it and the can is unmarked, I just keep it with the GunKote and my airbrush.

As far as heating the part to 300 degrees between coats, I just don't know. The instructions say just re-heat to 180 degrees so that's what I did.

Thanks for the kind comment of the AMD. The picture looks better at it's full size (1024x768), I think it loses something when you shrink it down to post.

mbadboyz..............

I really don't know what the GunKote glossy black would look like. When I bought this stuff flat black was all they had.
    10-4. Has anyone else used the Glossy Gun Kote? If so, does it match the AMD better than flat Gun Kote?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I have... Formula 1600S (for "Satin"). And it's damn near a dead ringer for the Hungarian gloss black. I'll try to post an image from the "other" board

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Toten Kopf
    I had some Gun Kote Flat Black that was purcahsed back in 1994.
    WOW, TK.

You've got some pre-ban Gun Kote?

How much You want for it?

Feedback Score

That is an awesome match! Very nice! Where can we get that stuff at? I have reached the end of the internet and did not see it anywhere. LOL

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I am really impressed by the creativity of the two builds shown here. When approaching mine, I tried to just put the parts together as they were. Toten Kopf?s ?63 and Trotsky?s ?65 each have a great ?look? I did not imagine. I may put a ?63 together with no front pistol grip, a US black grip and ? gee, I am getting creative ? a black butt stock. That would be another example of a ?black rifle.?

I have a couple of kits left that need Gun Kote, especially after seeing these two examples.

Trotsky, I can?t make it out in your picture. What did you use for a rear sling swivel?
    "MOLON LABE!!"
    Spartan King Leonidas to the Persians in response to 'Lay down your arms.'

"COME AND TAKE THEM!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.