ak-74 finish

Thread: ak-74 finish

Feedback Score

Question ak-74 finish

Howdy all, just getting into AKs and have a brand new condition Bulgy Plum kit in hand and an OOW receiver. Wondering what color of Gunkote would best match the rest of the rifle. Anybody here had any luck matching the finish on a Bulgy? Thanks in advance

Matt

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

You want 1600F... that's the Teflon base Flat formulation. It's going to be more Matte than Flat....

Now - a hint.... hit your kit with Zip Strip finish remover & a toothbrush. You will strip the original paint FAST.... and you'll end up with the Park Base intact... PERFECT for GunKote

Feedback Score

The finish on all the other metal parts (trunions, barrel, etc.) are in perfect condition so I am not sure I want to strip those. What ever they use to finish the metal is pretty tough stuff. However, you would recommend striping the whole thing versus just applying a finish to the receiver and trigger guard?

Also, can I use a gas oven to bake the gunkote? I know I need to do this when the war department is away, but I am not sure if a gas or electric oven makes a difference.

Thanks in adavance!
    Matt

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Gas oven is great. Just preheat the parts to appox 100 degrees. That will help keep you spray from running.
    Be sure to check out:
    www.warroom.com
    and
    www.michaelsavage.com

What ever it is I'm against it.
    Always question authority.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MJMARSHA
    The finish on all the other metal parts (trunions, barrel, etc.) are in perfect condition so I am not sure I want to strip those. What ever they use to finish the metal is pretty tough stuff. However, you would recommend striping the whole thing versus just applying a finish to the receiver and trigger guard?
    No.

The existing paint can be used as a base coat for whatever you are going to use as the top coat.

I would recommend that when ready to paint, degrease the entire rifle, and paint over the existing paint.

FYI, I think I've found a cheaper finish that I once read is Tantal's recommendation to match the factory black. Will be testing out soon, but it looks promising. It's actually an epoxy lacquer auto chassis paint from Eastwood - http://www.eastwoodco.com/ - they shipped it faster than expected, so I need to get my plum kits finished up & coat!

Cheaper than gunkote too

Feedback Score

Thanks for all valuable help guys, I really appreciate it. My only fear now is that I just may get addicted to doing this sort of thing!

Matt

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

if your kit has the "krinkle" look, try rustoleum #7220 textured black, perfect match.

Feedback Score

I just did my AK74 kit that I got from K-Var with Brownell's baking lacquer. It matched very well.
    A village in Massachusetts got their idiot back.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.