Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Homeade park solution

Feedback Score

thanks,I will stick with plastic for the rifles and stainless for the small parts
    "The AK-47 is not a device of aggression... I devised
    this machine-gun for the security of my country,"
    Mikhail Kalashnikov in April 1997

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Resurrecting this thread to find out about the batteries. I get all nervous thinking about starting a fire if the compounds mix and cause a "short" condition... how much "black stuff" is needed? A pinch? A spoonful? A D-cell battery complete?

The "original" home brew recipe I posted on my site indicates a bit more than that for Zinc phosphate (a "shot glass full" which is about 4 fl oz), but I'm not sure about the Manganese phosphate amount.

Feedback Score

for those of you looking for cheap parkerization supplies... don't waste money on batteries and such...

Behr No. 991 concrete etcher is $13.98/gal at most Home Depot's (30% phosphoric acid solution)
    Krud Kutter brand concrete etcher is ~$15/gal at most Lowe's (40% phosphoric acid solution)

Note: 1 gallon of 30% phosphoric acid solution, makes ~ 16 gallons of parkerization solution) This is cheaper than using Naval Jelly...

manganese dioxide powder is $4/lb
    black iron oxide powder is $6/lb

if you want to do Zinc Phosphate (substitute zinc oxide power for the manganese powder)

zinc oxide powder is $4/lb

all 3 dry items can be had at:

The Ceramic Shop
    3245 Amber St. 1st Fl.
    Philadelphia, PA 19134
    store phone 215-427-9665
    www.theceramicshop.com

distilled water can be had at any grocery store.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by slyguy2000
    for those of you looking for cheap parkerization supplies... don't waste money on batteries and such...

Behr No. 991 concrete etcher is $13.98/gal at most Home Depot's (30% phosphoric acid solution)
    Krud Kutter brand concrete etcher is ~$15/gal at most Lowe's (40% phosphoric acid solution)

Note: 1 gallon of 30% phosphoric acid solution, makes ~ 16 gallons of parkerization solution) This is cheaper than using Naval Jelly...

manganese dioxide powder is $4/lb
    black iron oxide powder is $6/lb

if you want to do Zinc Phosphate (substitute zinc oxide power for the manganese powder)

zinc oxide powder is $4/lb

all 3 dry items can be had at:

The Ceramic Shop
    3245 Amber St. 1st Fl.
    Philadelphia, PA 19134
    store phone 215-427-9665
    www.theceramicshop.com

distilled water can be had at any grocery store.
    What is the BLACK IRON OXIDE POWDER for? Does it replace the steel wool, and if so how much of it do you use?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

umm, back to the battery. I got a million of 'em, all dead and waiting. $$ per pound? How about free and in a bucket just waiting for the juice. Post the amount of battery guts please.
    member # 575

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Going by memory. You just keep adding battery guts until they dont dissolve any more. You cant put too many in. The excess will just settle out.

The guts are made of carbon powder, manganese dioxide powder, zinc graduals, cloth like divider and alkali. I rinse the guts with water first to get rid of most of the alkali (otherwise it will neutralize the phos acid). Then add the guts (minus the cloth) to the phos acid. The carbon powder wont dissolve, so let it settle out. The zinc and MO will dissolve. I dont remember how many it took. It has been a while.
    No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. ~Dave Barry, Dave Barry Turns 50

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by moleman
    What is the BLACK IRON OXIDE POWDER for? Does it replace the steel wool, and if so how much of it do you use?
    from what works for me and others, is one cup (4oz of 30% phosphoric acid solution) and 3 table spoons of Manganese Dioxide and 3 table spoons of black iron oxide, with 1 gallon of distilled water.

Yes, the black iron oxide is in leu of steel wool or black iron wire.

For making Zinc Phoaphate bath, substitute 1 cup of Zinc Oxide powder, for the Manganese Oxide powder.
    Last edited by slyguy2000; 09-23-2007 at 06:43 PM.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by ashhoe
    umm, back to the battery. I got a million of 'em, all dead and waiting. $$ per pound? How about free and in a bucket just waiting for the juice. Post the amount of battery guts please.

hey, I have no problem with that, if you have'em use them. But if you don't the pure powder is chaper than buying batteries just to do a park job. Especially if you are parkerizing whole rifles and not just small parts.

~$20-25 will get you enough supplies to make up to 16 gallons of parker solution, vs. spending ~$60/ gallon + hazmat & shipping... from some retailers.

Feedback Score

Myself and a buddy have both tried the manganese park solution using bought powder and batteries and neither of us had any luck.

I have had great luck with zinc park using pennies with the copper ground off. I do it a little different I think, I put 8 pennies in about 18-20 oz of acid and let them disolve completely. I put that in my park tank which is a six gallon tank, heat it up and add a steel wool pad I've washed with acetone. The parts come out a nice dark charcoal color. After I let one 1919 sit once it got rust spots forming slightly on the park and I figured I mix up a quick solution of muriatic acid and water to try to wash the rust of and it did, but is also left the park a real nice WW2 gray finish. That wasn't what I wanted so I resandblasted and reparked it this time I quickly hit it with WD40 after the rinse.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by acmech
    Myself and a buddy have both tried the manganese park solution using bought powder and batteries and neither of us had any luck.

I have had great luck with zinc park using pennies with the copper ground off. I do it a little different I think, I put 8 pennies in about 18-20 oz of acid and let them disolve completely. I put that in my park tank which is a six gallon tank, heat it up and add a steel wool pad I've washed with acetone. The parts come out a nice dark charcoal color. After I let one 1919 sit once it got rust spots forming slightly on the park and I figured I mix up a quick solution of muriatic acid and water to try to wash the rust of and it did, but is also left the park a real nice WW2 gray finish. That wasn't what I wanted so I resandblasted and reparked it this time I quickly hit it with WD40 after the rinse.
    from what I understand is that the Manganese Park needs to be a consistent temerature, if you dunk a really large piece of cold steel into the tank it dramatically drops the temperature of the solution to below boil for a few mins which affects the proper forming of the manganese phosphate crystals onto the steel, preheating large pieces I think is the key to keeping the temperature steady. (results may vary)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.