Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: Anyone tried home blueing

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Did you read the Kernel's post?

To go more in depth, the answer is no, you probably shouldn't use stainless (although I'm not sure what you mean by "seasoned".)

From Brownell's advisors:
    Bluing Salts in the presence of stainless steel and gun steel frequently can create "galvanic" action (electric current flow) between the two dissimilar metals resulting in a "false plate" of either chemicals (streaking the bluing with random iridescent blues/greens/purples) or stainless steel (giving patches of random silver specks/spots).

Black Iron tanks are fairly cheap:
    BROWNELLS : BLACK IRON BLUING TANK - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Even if you used steel/iron tanks to parkerize with and "seasoned" them by essentially parking the inside, all that nice zinc or manganese on there will dissolve into the blue mixture and contaminate it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks Kernelkrink,

That reply closed the loop and answered both of my my questions!

Regards,
    Rapidblast

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink View Post
    Even if you used steel/iron tanks to parkerize with and "seasoned" them by essentially parking the inside, all that nice zinc or manganese on there will dissolve into the blue mixture and contaminate it.

Feedback Score

Hot bluing is something that is just about as dangerous and messing with home made dynamite. 300 degree lye is dangerous as the dickens and unless you take all the safety precautions that the professionals use it too dangerous for me to mess with. I'll stick to parkerizing not nearly as dangerous and the stuff I build should all be parkerized or oxide coated anyway. Bluing is for grandpa's shot gun.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Maybe for grandpas shotgun but also for snazzy east german builds yugos and early milled builds, in my oppinion milled aks just don't look right parked but that's just my opinion.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokehouse View Post
    Hot bluing is something that is just about as dangerous and messing with home made dynamite. 300 degree lye is dangerous as the dickens and unless you take all the safety precautions that the professionals use it too dangerous for me to mess with. I'll stick to parkerizing not nearly as dangerous and the stuff I build should all be parkerized or oxide coated anyway. Bluing is for grandpa's shot gun.

And the sky is falling too? Hot blueing is as safe as parkerizing as long as certain precautions are taken. I admit that the ingredients must be combined in a certain process to minimize reactions but it's not out of reach for anyone. Of course it's caustic and can burn living tissue but knowing that, one understands that covering that tissue negates any harmful quality that hot blueing presents. Don't scare people into thinking that it's a bomb.
    Want to buy: Tantal Left and Right side selector parts.

RRORC!
    I'm no sheep!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

While I'm waiting for the Hope & Change (LOL), I've taken up Rust Blueing w/ Brownells "Classic" Rust Blue...

Terrific results so far - and the color is more like "black" than "blue."

Great match for Yugo M64/70/72 original hot blue -

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.