Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Stock/HG Stripping

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

kerosine would work on wood , however kerosine leaves a residue , that does not like to dry out. That is why I use a laquer thinner , and next expect to go to a gasoline bomb. I know that everyone probably does not like the idea of gasoline, but it is a good solvent , and every good solvent that I know of is explosive if gotten into a vapor phase. As an added thought I know that a lot of people use a oven cleaner or some other basic formula that will destroy wood grain and or raise or destroy cartouches; and if your going to use an oven cleaner , you might as well mix your own with basic red devil lye and water and spray it on the stock (will cost a hell of a lot less). Also look up oxalic acid if you have any doubts on its uses.

on top of that everyone should have oxalic acid on hand for light rust removal... though it will remove blueing also.

http://alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/oxalic_acid.html
    MOLON LABE !!!!!

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjemin Franklin

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. -- Sigmund Freud

TO vote for the lesser of two evils , is to still vote for evil.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

As far as bleaching agents go, Oxy-Clean is a good Oxygen bleach that is as kind to wood as it is to clothing. You can soak wood in a water solution of oxy-clean, or make a slurry/paste and paint it on the wood.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    I also have a Romanian forearm which has a really interesting stamping. The stamping was done after the final finish was applied and it's a triangle (very similar to the Romanian triangle proof stamping found on their trunnions) and inside the triange are the letters / number “R 2 M”. Any ideas as to what I have here? Image shows it the best I can do......really hard to get macro pics with a digital........anyway, Thanks, Glenn
    I think that's actually "211". Europeans use long "noses" or whatever you call them on their "1"s. Handwritten numerals often look like an inverted V.

Terrier

Feedback Score

Default stripper mess

I had an employee (after years of making messes) show me to put stripper on thin
    and let it dry, take off what is loose and reapply as many times as nessesary. On a car
    it makes a huge difference to not have the crap trying to sneak under the tape and
    making a mess in a jam. But it was also just as fast and used less material. Have done
    it his way ever since, 20 or so years now.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

I thought you all would like to see the finished stock set.
    Custom stain color by me. Finished in poly-urethane.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.”
    Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Looks good. Hope mine turns out as well.
    If at first you don't succeed..Reload

Feedback Score

Why not use easy-off oven cleaner. I use the fume-less on that is used on automatic ovens. I spray the wood with easy-off around 5:00 pm and let it soak for two hours. Then I rinse it off and let dry until the next day. I do this 2 or 3 times and about 99% of the oil and finish is removed. Then I sand and decide what sealer and stain that I want to use. Works pretty good for me.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jjglith View Post
    I thought you all would like to see the finished stock set.
    Custom stain color by me. Finished in poly-urethane.

Wow those turned out great!
    Congratulations

HarvKY

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Thanks....
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.”
    Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score

I spray them with oven cleaner and wrap in a plastic bag overnight. Then I wash and scrub them off the next day. Light sand then ready to finish.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.