Like Tree1Likes

Thread: DIY: Stock/HG Stripping

Feedback Score

Great!
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jjglith View Post

Gather up your stock sets and remove all the metal from them. Remove the butt plate and remember to pull out the big spring from inside the rear stock under the butt plate and all the sling mounts and screws.

Nice set up there.
    Last edited by Johnny 5.56; 02-27-2011 at 10:30 PM.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

JJ,
    Your instructions on how to strip the wood furniture were great. Thank you! Upon inspection of one of my lower hand guards I noticed a nice big crack. The wood is still damp, as I bleached it today. I have some wood glue, but I don't know if that's the best method of repair. What do you suggest?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Johnny, i dont know if its a maadi thing, but i noticed "cracks" that were already fulla wood glue in my LHG when i was refinishing them, the glue was starting to kind of bubble up a little after i left it in stripper overnight. but all appearances of them went away when i let my parts dry in front of the dehumidifier. this tutorial has proved to be enormously informative and helpful, makes me glad to lurk such a wise web sight.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFetus View Post
    Johnny, i dont know if its a maadi thing, but i noticed "cracks" that were already fulla wood glue in my LHG when i was refinishing them, the glue was starting to kind of bubble up a little after i left it in stripper overnight. but all appearances of them went away when i let my parts dry in front of the dehumidifier. this tutorial has proved to be enormously informative and helpful, makes me glad to lurk such a wise web sight.

Cool. I just returned the lower HG to Apex and they sent me a new one! Great customer service. I hope that yours is ok.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Lul yeah the LHG is fine, i managed to get a crack in my UHG tho, i also ordered mine from apex.. hrm...
    its about a 1/3 crack, right in the upper middle, im hoping to finish it and polyurethane it to death with some sanding to heal the wound, has anyone else tryed that before?
    hope it works.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

now the the question. I don't want a high gloss finish. I would prefer something super tough and yet almost natural or dull satin. Any helpful recommendations?
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post
    As far as bleaching agents go, Oxy-Clean is a good Oxygen bleach that is as kind to wood as it is to clothing. You can soak wood in a water solution of oxy-clean, or make a slurry/paste and paint it on the wood.

I have finished stripping my stocks now i would like to lighten them up a bit. i noticed you mentioned oxy clean. what is you're solution concentration and soak time. directions on your slurry mix as well please.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Ok guys, i tried some acetone good but very harsh. i am pretty lazy and don't want to do a heck of allot of work. LOL!!!! The Oven cleaner method worked super well. I have about four stocks i am working on so i use 13 gal trash bag per stock. Sprayed down tied it up stood up on one end to keep blotching down and let it set over night. morning took them out washed and scrubbed off with stiff nylon brush. I repeated just for good measure and that was it. removed everything with minimal effort, mess and fumes. I am letting them dry for a couple of days then i will bleach after i receive some tech info here.

I have finished several new bare Boyd's stocks before with ploy urethane 10/22, Brownell's TRUOIL STOCK FINISH KIT Mauser 1911 swed , and acrylic saiga S12. several thin coats with light buffing in-between with great results. I want to try the tung oil route with one of the stocks to see how it goes this time.

I am more into a matte or dull satin finish. Pics don't seem to do the finishs justice with the flash. i have a new camera i may have to take new pics.

so far the easiest to work with and provided good quality result was the minimax spray satin finish.

once cured for a week or more i buffed any super shine down again with 0000 wool. i didn't do it aggressively just enough to take the glare off.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny 5.56 View Post
    Nice set up there.
    Nothing but the finest in WCSOGS equipment.

BTW: Sorry if I haven't been around for awhile. I had some life changes and with the BATF screwing up the good old days of kit building and with the price of kits with original barrels today going higher that what you can buy a completed rifle for I kinda put most of my stuff away.
    But I still believe that the personal satisfaction from home building a functioning firearm from a box of greasy parts and the attention to the detail you can give to it is better than any store bought gun.
    The build process is priceless.
    I'll be putting up some building equipment 4 sale soon if y'all are still at it building.
    Thanks again for all the nice words from all you guys. email me if you have any questions I'm more than glad to help if I can.
    ~JJ~
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.”
    Benjamin Franklin

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.