ROMY BATTLEFIELD LOOK QUESTION??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ROMY BATTLEFIELD LOOK QUESTION??

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default ROMY BATTLEFIELD LOOK QUESTION??

Have my Romy underfolder ready to put together. 1972 and she looks like she has seen some wear and tear. Bore is great. All parts are great. But I have so many refinished AKs I really don't want to refinish this one.
    Question is now I have a new NDS-1ROM reciever which I want to look worn to match the look of the battelfield rifle. I was thinking of just ruffing it up with some steel wool.
    Have any of you guys wanted to just leave the old girl with her battle wear and what did you do to make the reciever match. Thank you for any help.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I've seen some nice jobs from previous posts. IIRC they used cold blue and then some careful rubbing with a scotch brite pad.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

PM sent

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

I'll throw this out there and see what every one thinks. Some of the AMD 65's are in great shape except the finish is worn in all the high areas, kinda like they've been riding around in a tank or a truck for years. My idea was, after a nice cold blue job, to mount a cookie sheet pan on top of my case tumbler, put a bunch of nuts and bolts in it, toss the receiver in and let it vibrate the crap out of it for a while. After assembly just hit the rivets w/ steelwool. In theory it would have the same look as something that spent alot of time in a vehicle. What do you think?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TammiJ
    PM sent
    Don't you want to share with the rest of us?

That's funny you posted this 4th, I just got my receiver too and was thinking the same thing.
    I was going to try and just steel wool the receiver the way it is first, no cold blue, if that doesn't work then go back then cold blue it and start over.

And I keep thanking you everytime I look at that kit.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Coils
    Don't you want to share with the rest of us?

Hey Coils...PM sent, lol!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Thanks Tammi

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I copied this from this forum long ago - don't know the author - but I do remember his Romy looked great using this technique.

Battlefield finish

I sanded off the beadblast finish on the reciever with NORTON 3X Contour Sponge 150 grit and then smoothed it with 0000 steel wool before I even started the build. When the build was completed, I degreased it with acetone and applied Birchwood/Casey Super Blue with a folded paper towel. Then I sanded off most of the blue with NORTON 3X 320 grit, again followed with 0000 steel wool.

I highlighted the high spots and edges by using a little more pressure on them. To protect the finish, I coated everything with a heavy dose of BreakFree CLP and wiped off the excess after letting it penetrate for a half hour.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default WOW SORRY

Sorry I left the converstation. I'm helping my buddy do his first build. Good God if I can help him he has got to be lost. Coils. Keep that AK as it is. TammiJ sent me that great P.M. and the weapon looked great.
    uechiguy, coils, tammi,tanvil thanks.
    Yeah coils leave that baby as she is. Our two AKs are brothers. I really want this too look like a real battlefield pickup. Coils I'm talking like touching nothing on the rear underfolder or the rest of the whole rifle. The tips tammi connected me with were great. Stay in touch and we will have a couple of war relics people will be paying Millions $$$ a few years from now for.
    All. I am in and out of the house with helping my buddy so if I don't get right back to you forgive me. Good ideas so far keep em coming.
    Tanvil I did not forget your Gator meat. I have to find some dry Ice or something to ship and overnight it. My buddy killed a rattle snake. Do you want me to send that with it. Thanks 4th.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default ?????

Quote Originally Posted by uechiguy
    I've seen some nice jobs from previous posts. IIRC they used cold blue and then some careful rubbing with a scotch brite pad.
    Did they strip the reciever them blue it cold? This thing is gonna look great if I can just get the reciever to match the rifle. I am hoping Coils does the same with his. Wow did the barrel come out easy. Gonna put up a good post on why some barrels come out easy and some you need dynamite to remove them. Interesting post I found.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.