Thread: Fast top coat over existing finish

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Fast top coat over existing finish

Here's a question for you guys..... I am a gunsmith and have refinished many old military stocks and new factory (Bishop - Fajen, etc.) wood ones and have used many of the same procedures found on the various postings. But with my current project, I don't want to remove/destroy the wood markings. So, this raises a new question for me. I am building a Romy G kit, but don't want to strip the finish as I am attempting to keep it "as issued and used". The buttstock is very nice and has cool markings as does the forearm. The forearm has a very shiny finish while all other parts are rather dull. I am attempting to match all parts to the shiny finish. What would be the best way to easily clean the dull finished parts well enough to hold a shiny finish? And would 1 coat of spray True-oil or tung oil or perhaps polyurethane be the best way to go to get the shiny forearm finish? Thanks

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

That's an alcohol based shellac on the Romanians. Theirs isn't as good as ours. Alot of the cloudy ones need to be stripped with alcohol (no paint strippers needed on Romys) and put Bullseye on them. It's easy with alcohol and a bristle brush and you wont lose any detail as long as you don't sand it. If the finish isn't lifted and broken up or white from age, you may be able to sand with 400 and go over it with bullseye. I don't think any type of oil will help on top of the original finish, but I haven't tried that, so someone else may know more about it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I like the idea of the Bulls Eye Shellac.........the finish is solid, I just want to shine it up a bit to match the shiny finish of the forearm. Thanks, I really appreciate your help, Glenn

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Glenn, check the sticky on stock finishing. We put some new info there. And welcome to Gunco.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

tanvil........thanks going there now

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.