Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bulls Eye Shellac question

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Bulls Eye Shellac question

Ok, so I am ready to do the Bulls Eye Shellac finish on my Romy G furniture. The can says to cut it with denatured alcohol......all I have is isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol - will this work? Thanks, Glenn

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

You want to cut it with ethanol. Since we COULD drink ethanol and enjoy it, the gummint has mandated that non-taxed ethanol must be rendered *icky* and denatured.

Get some denatured alcohol. Most hardware stores will carry it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks.....am off today and will get myself started on this shellac work.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

You can get Denatured Alcohol at the paint stores.

Bullseye shellac is more amber, and less red, than you may want. It is almost a blonde finish on the wood.

I was successful with adding a little bit of walnut stain to the amber shellac, and it gave it a deeper reddish color.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Around here, Bullseye comes in Amber as well as the lighter, standard shellac.

Be aware that, in its liquid form, shellac has a shelf life. Fresh shellac goes on quick and easy, dries fast. If your shellac coats aren't getting hard in a few minutes to an hour, your shellac is old and needs to be returned. A fresh one-pound cut made with flake will dry about as fast as alcohol dries.

That's why I like flake shellac and mixing it up as I need it. It takes about a day for the flakes to dissolve in alcohol and needs to be filtered using cheesecloth or what have you, but works every time.

http://www.shellac.net/ShellacPricing.html for prices and how-to.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Wow......lots of good info. Got the Denatured Alcohol and bought clear Bulls Eye. Am planning on 2 pound cut....will check out the link, sjohnson. Thanks guys. I, unfortunately didn't get to work on the stock yesterday........had an emergency call from a friend in the hospital. Man it sucks getting old !!!! I didn't see myself getting this old and don't feel old, but when I see my buddies coming down with "bad things"....it really hits home. Thanks guys for all the tips. I hope to get back to the stock work soon. Glenn

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

SJ, I didn't even know you could get it in that form, thanks for the link. We use the Bullseye for wood finishing on flooring and staircase jobs. Looks like the flake is a money saver in quantity.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I'll hunt around, maybe find it cheaper yet. Great when serendipity strikes

In the meantime, here's an interesting read about shellac, if you like:
    http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/htdocs/shellac.htm

From there,
    Pharmaceutical - shellac is used to coat enteric pills so that they do not dissolve in the stomach, but in the lower intestine, which alleviates upset stomachs. Its also used as a coating on pills to "time release" medication.
    Confectionery - shellac is used to provide protective candy coatings or glazes on candy like jelly beans, because of its unique ability to provide a high gloss in relatively thin coatings (like a French Polish). It is approved by the FDA as a food safe coating when dissolved in pure ethanol (not denatured). Shellac in this form is called confectioners glaze.
    Food Coatings - because of its FDA approval, shellac is used to coat apples and other fruits to make them shinier. It's also used as a moisture barrier to coat the inside of ice cream cones.
    Electrical - shellac mixed with marble dust is used by lamp manufacturers to glue the metal base to glass incandescent bulbs.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I've only used the Bullseye clear shellac and like the results. These are some examples of homebuilt Bullseye applications; first photo Romy RPK-47 and Bulgarian RPK-74, second and third photos Russian butt before and after. Good luck with yours.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Did I do that?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Wow..........nice work........hope mine turns out that nice. I am attempting to preserve the markings on it and don't want to strip the finish. So, am going to be going over the existing finish - which is actually in good solid shape.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.