Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My homebrew park'd mauser

Feedback Score

Default My homebrew park'd mauser

Just thought I'd share some pics of the mauser I just finished working on. I picked it up cheap, and the stock was very grungy and oily, but unharmed. All the steel was clean except for some minor surface rust and missing cleaning rod, front sight guard and set screws in the trigger assy. I stripped all the years of old finish off the stock and cleaned it several times to remove oil. The foregrip piece was loaded with cosmoline(sp). I left it in front of the heater for a few hours and it most of it seeped out. The stain is three coats of minwax bombay mahogany covered with 5 coats of minwax satin poly. The steel parts excluding the bolt assy are painted with 1200* bbq acrylic, then scuffed with a scotch brite pad to achieve the 'battleworn' look I was hoping for. Then cured in the oven to set the final finish. I still need to touch up a few things and hand paint all the emblems and serial#'s with a fine brush. Then get a cleaning rod, bayonet.. anyway, here it is. Hope you all enjoy, its my first resto/build. I have a few more I'd like to do before I try building an AK.

Last edited by silley; 03-09-2008 at 10:25 PM. Reason: pics

Feedback Score

is it that bad? or is this forum just really slow?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

????
    That's odd, I thought I replied the day after you put up the pics? Well here it is again.
    Looks nice. How does it shoot?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

What I can see is nice, but having to wait nearly a minute for 1600x1200 pics to load, then for the gunco site software to resize, then having to scroll makes it a bit rough to review your work. And that's down a 10 Meg pipe. Try using 800x600, or 1024x768 and I think you'll get a bigger audience.

It does look nice. Though, I'm puzzled. From the title, I expected to see a parkerized rifle and your home park setup. What did you mean by homebrew park'd?

Feedback Score

sorry about the pics, I'm not good with the camera, and still trying to figure out how to resize them afterward without goofing them up..

I guess my title should have read 'imitation parkerized finish'? That's more what I meant. I'm a bit new to the gun refinishing lingo, so you'll have to forgive me.

I have been reading up on the real park process, and I might give it a go with my Steyr m95 Buda. When I get around to stripping it all apart.

I'll try and resize those pics... thanks for the views!

Feedback Score

colis, not sure yet. All that work and I've never fired it I'm going to take it out this weekend though

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Now I understand. NP with the finish silley. Like I said, looks good!

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Was this a matching numbers BNZ 42 or a Russian capture refurb?
    " The world is a very dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who do nothing about them." - Albert Einstein, 1879-1955

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

i'm likin that bombay mahogoney color, i think i'll try that on a set of ak furniture

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

WOW, that took a while to open. I thought my computer froze up. I see you added a few more pics this time. Still a nice looking rifle. How's it shoot?
    If at first you don't succeed..Reload

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.