Thread: Parking questions with pics

Feedback Score

Default Parking questions with pics

park pictures 001.jpg

Well its taken me a couple of years gathering the tools and supplies but I finally parked my first AK. A HUGE thanks to pirate56 for his parkerizing tuturial I followed it precisely and obtained the above results. (I it is even throughout the dark parts are left over oil) I was a little worried after removing from the blackener as the receiver had white and gray areas but after the boiling water bath and oil it turned and even black.

I have a couple of questions though.

You can add water to make up for evaporation right? Do you just add enough to bring it back to its original volume?

I had a green precipitate form when I accidently boiled it is this normal (I think I read it is supposed to be white?) It still worked but did I shorten the life span of it?

Are there advantages to just having a parked gun? I had every intention of doing a coat of duracoat over my park job but it turned out so well Im not sure I want to paint over it now... whats the consensus on this? Thanks again Pirate56 your tutorial is top notch.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

I'll have to check out pirate's tutorial (again), but I must have missed the part about the blackener. All of the park jobs BigAl and I have done have turned out too gray for a final finish for my liking.

Save me the search and tell me about the blackener you use. I'd like to have a blacker park finish on my Romanians.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

when you park water will evaporate so you need to keep adding water to the solution. if you use a lid you will lose less through evaporation and also less heat to keep the solution up to temp.
    boiling it won't hurt it, after it cools filter it through a clean rag. the solution will last a long time as long as you don't contaminate it with grease or oil.

personally I am not a fan of paint and leave all mine parkerized. it is a good durable chemical resistant finish. and if done properly looks great.

glad you found the tutorial helpfull.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I don't add water to make up for lost solution due to evaporation, I add more of the parkerizing solution mixed according to the ratio supplied by whoever's brand of solution your using. I'm sure this was the intended point being made. Just adding plain water would dilute your seasoned solution.
    " The world is a very dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who do nothing about them." - Albert Einstein, 1879-1955

Feedback Score

Thanks for the replies the blackener is from caswell inc. (Plating Kits Electroplating Kits Aluminum Anodizing Kits Powder Coating Systems Metal Polishing And Buffing Supplies - Caswell Inc.) i bought the 32 oz bottle and made up half of it. After you park you boil the parts in water then drop the parts in the blackener and leave in there for 5 minutes before boiling and oiling.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

I just add water, I fill my tanks to a certain level and add water as it evaporates. I have also started to keep the tanks covered to lesen the amount of heat needed and to lessen the amoung of evaporation and fumes in the air.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.