Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Park tanks, what to use?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default Park tanks, what to use?

I don't know what to use, or where to get a stainless tank big enough to fit a full size barreled receiver (ak). anyone know where to get one, or what to use for one?
    Thanks,
    edhunter

Feedback Score
    In Guns We Trust

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

It doesn't have to be stainless steel, it can be regular steel, iron, porcelin cookwear. It can't be aluminum or copper or zinc plated steel as they will react with the park solution. If you go with regualr steel/iron it will parkerize the first time you use it and shouldn't react much more after that. Some guys found stainless steel mud trays for drywall cheap at the hardware store. You could also check ebay for used ss steam trays or cookwear used by resturants. It just has to be good enough to handle near boiling hot liquids. Midway and brownells both sell park and bluing tanks premade. I have a 5"x5"x36" ss tank that I had made about 10 years ago to do M1 garands. It's usually a lot easier to use a smaller tank unless it won't fit. I also use a porcelin (camp type) turkey pan that is big enough to put a barrel and a receiver in not assembled. Any areas that you don't want parkerized can be masked off with electrial tape if you want.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

You could try local scrap yards,the places that buy scrap steel,copper,LEAD for casting bullits,Al cans etc etc.Last time I was at one they payed me $1.50 per lb for SS.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I guess I'll keep a eye out for something.
    Thanks,
    EdHunter

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Check out used restaurant supply houses....they will have new and used ss pans in different sizes. Bring a ruler..... I bought a few dirty, dented ones for $5.00 each. Cleaned up nice....
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.”
    Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score

I found a stainless turky roaster pan at the local grocery store for 13.00 bucks just think outside the box others have used mud pan you can get at the Home Depot or Lowes...good luck
    Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows that as a government grows, LIBERTY DECREASES."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    74 (100%)

The local restaraunt supply has new stainless steam table pans for $14 without the lid and $28 with the lid. Set that on your camp stove and your in business.
    Buy your US made AK-47 compliance parts here.
    Best price on US made AK parts! also $5 flat rate shipping .
    http://www.rcmgunparts.com/

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I recommend at least 12 guage Stainless steel stock cut and bent into two L-sections. A bottom plate section is used to weld onto the two adjoined L-sections.

A tank 28 inches long by 4 inches wide and 7 inches deep is sufficient to dip any AK, 1919 barrel guard, STEN, PPSHXX or, any other receiver section that is 27 inches long.

This size of tank holds about 2.5 gallons which takes a 1200WATT dual eye type electric hot plate to maintain 200 degrees F nicely in 75 degree ambient temperature.

I will show mine in the UZI build I am doing over in the Sub-Gun section here next week.

MUSIBIKE

Feedback Score

I bought one of the 6x6x40 tanks and lids from one of the guys on Ebay. It is fantastic. The drain hole is quite the luxury compared to my old tank that didn't have one.

It looks like the Stainless Steel Creations guy sells the same tank I bought, but for $40 you can have him weld a 350 degree temp gauge into the side of the tank. If I could go back I would absolutely do that. Monitoring the temp of the solution sucks, and having a thermometer sticking out the top means you cannot put the lid on the top of the tank while you are heating it up or it isn't in use.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.