Can't find parking chemicals
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't find parking chemicals

Feedback Score

Default Can't find parking chemicals

Hello everyone,

I finally found my way over to this board. I like it so far. I like how the site is broke down into smaller categories.

I have been looking locally for a week now and have had no luck finding Manganese Dioxide or 85% phosphoric Acid. I guess I am down to buying it off line. I have made my tank from SS sheet metal. It is 32L x 5H x 7W. I plan on using my gas grill. I thought about going with a starter kit but it seems that the starter kits I have seen don't list Phosphoric acid. They list Manganese, degreaser and preservative oil but don't list acid. This concerned me.

Also, Shooters Solution talks like their kits are so much better than any others. I would like to know how someones Chemicals are better than others.

Thanks for your help

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Dang,

I thought that I left a response to this. Here goes again.

For MnO2 or the WWII color ZnO2, check your local pottery supply stores. Potters use both chemicals for glazes. The stores have bulk amounts cheap. Expect to pay much less than $10 for 4 pounds each.

85% Phosphoric I got from Triple-S chemicals in CA. Shipping was as expensive as a gallon of acid.

You may want to try local brewer's supply stores which sometimes carry qt quantities of phosphoric for dissolving brewer's stone.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by machman
    Hello everyone,

I finally found my way over to this board. I like it so far. I like how the site is broke down into smaller categories.

I have been looking locally for a week now and have had no luck finding Manganese Dioxide or 85% phosphoric Acid. I guess I am down to buying it off line. I have made my tank from SS sheet metal. It is 32L x 5H x 7W. I plan on using my gas grill. I thought about going with a starter kit but it seems that the starter kits I have seen don't list Phosphoric acid. They list Manganese, degreaser and preservative oil but don't list acid. This concerned me.

Also, Shooters Solution talks like their kits are so much better than any others. I would like to know how someones Chemicals are better than others.

Thanks for your help

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

I got phosphoric acid from a company that sells chemicals for high pressure boilers.
    I too found that shooters solution was NOT the sulution for me. I did not like the way the spoke to me, it was like they were talking down to me. Then I called this guy and we were on the same track. he took the time to give me answers to my questions and only sold me only what I needed. price was good to.
    I would definatly buy from him again

Palmetto Enterprises
    2311 old park road
    Greenville, SC. 29609
    864-246-3836

now this is just my oppinion but if you want to save a few bucks. you can degrease with brake cleaner, then rinse in H2o. and after you cook the parts rince them in H2o rite away, and then WD-40 rite away wipe dry and WD-40 again. this has worked well for me. And all I had to buy was the park solution

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

HAY troop
    I have a jug of phosphoric acid and a pottery shop down the road can you tell me how much of the MnO2 and how muck of the ZnO2 that I would mix into how much acid for the two differant recipies. thanks

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

machman......

Brownell's has everything you need and you don't have to play around with 1/4 cup of this and 1/2 cup of that.
    The grey type phosphate is straight up just add water. If you use the pre-black (makes everything black) before the phosphate you will have to add some muratic acid (ACE carries it). The whole thing is very easy but the IMPORTANT thing is to make sure that the parts are CLEAN, I MEAN CLEAN. And that after the part comes out of the phosphate bath it immeadiatley goes into a hot water tank. This will prevent 'white-out'.

Brownell's # is 1.800.741.0015, website is www.brownells.com
    these people are great to deal with call them and ask how everyting works.

Feedback Score

You may want to check over at 00's Parkerizing Tanks, too.

Feedback Score

Thanks guys. I called the Palmetto guy in Greenville and he was great. I thought that he has a good price on his solution, too.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

No problem.
    I should really check the recipe but here goes from memory.

I followed Dick Culver's recipe:
    http://www.jouster.com/articles30m1/parkerizing.html

The recipe is per GALLON OF WATER.

Carefully pour one ounce of 85% Phosphoric acid in that gallon. (you can use a whiskey jigger or a plastic dose cup from a children's liquid antibiotic prescription or Tylenol bottle.)

One ounce of the powdered MnO2 (or if you're doing zinc Park, one ounce of ZnO2) per gallon of water.

You add a biscuit of steel wool (degreased with mineral spirits to get the protective oil off) and let her slow boil for five minutes or so.

A candy thermometer helps to keep things at 195 degrees or so but if you go a bit higher, just keep stirring.

You can reuse the solution after you are done but I would add another biscuit of steel wool the next time and use it for old tools or very small parts.

By the way, I had business in Derry, NH last year. I had two weeks notice and decided to contact Shooter's Solutions to arrange a pickup. (I think I have this right). I wanted a bottle of their green tint which cost too much to ship. A guy and his wife run the business from their house. I was able to walk to the address from my meeting. Nobody was home. Two weeks later, I got a call and a message. I finally connected but decided I still did not want to pay the hazardous shipping.

Knowing you, you will prep the metal well and your results should be great. I found that I had to run the Parkerizing for more than 30 minutes for the small bubbles to stop and the coating to be finished. Hey, I know where to get great Park tanks!!

Hopefully this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrel
    HAY troop
    I have a jug of phosphoric acid and a pottery shop down the road can you tell me how much of the MnO2 and how muck of the ZnO2 that I would mix into how much acid for the two differant recipies. thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

There is a guy selling Park chemicals on eBay, sounds Ok but Brownell?s looks cheaper.
    "Moss Isley spaceport. You'll not find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"
    (Actually this better describes Washington than Moss Isley)

Feedback Score

If you want a good price, then go with Palmetto Ent. Also, I have reused the solution I got from him twice with great results. Just use a coffee filter to filter out all of the white stuff. He also encloses a basic instruction sheet if you ask for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.