Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for park/bluing burner specs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Looking for park/bluing burner specs.

I would like to set up a bluing and parkerizing setup. I am to cheap to buy the hardware from brownells, so I am looking to fabricate the burners myself. Does anybody have specs that they would share on what they have had success with?

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

go to harborfreight or tractor supply and buy the tripple burner cast Iron stove they are about 40.00

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

You can go to menards or home depot and get a fireplace log lighter kit to use as your burner, or take the cheap bastard route like I did. I took the regulator and valve off of a trash day grill someone was throwing out and hooked it up to a 3/4" black steel pipe with an end cap. I drilled a row of 3/32" holes about every 1/4" apart. For a frame I used angle iron from a bed frame that someone else was throwing out. I had to buy about $10 in black pipe, some bolts (my buddy gave me the tank for parking his gun).

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

moleman - I love it! Thats a great idea. How long did you happen to make your burner (approx)? Got a picture for bragging rights?

is there a good reference / tutorial for the parkerizing newbie?

John 3:16

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I made it about 10-12 years ago when I was putting together M1 Garands and carbines. I made 2 rows of 3/32" holes on the top edge of the pipe, but if I had to do it over again I'd just use a single row of 1/8" holes still spaced about 1/4"-3/8" apart. The end caps where the nozzles from the grill valves go in must have holes drilled on each side to suck in air so you get good combustion. I open both valves to get the solution up to 180 degrees, but then close one of the valves and turn the other one down to maintain as close to 180 degrees as possible. The gas gets to both sides of the pipe because there is a short piece between the two "T" connectors. It works out pretty good for what I have in it. I think it took me about 3 hours to make. Check the library there is a tutoral in there on parkerizing. Its pretty easy to do, the main thing is to get all the oil and grease off. Well here she is, she aint pretty but she works great!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

TRIPLE GAS BURNER COOKER (CAST) 46,950 BTU - Agri Supply

I bought three of these from Agri supply. Quite a bit cheaper than HF
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

here is a parkerizing tutorial: parkerizing

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks for the info. Will the triple burner heat a 6x6x40 tank hot enough for bluing? I got my hands on a stand that will hold two tanks, I was going to build one, but found one in a scrap metal bin at work that was just about right. I got a 1919 and a romanian ak that need parked and several Yugo aks that I would like to blue. If I go the pipe burner route for bluing what size pipe and hole spacing should I use to reach the higher BTUs to reach temp? I will use 3/4 for parking but that won't be enough for bluing right?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The 1" might not hurt, but I've had good luck with the 3/4". When I get the parkerizing solution up to 180 degrees I shut off one of the valves and close the other one so its only 1/3-1/2 open and even then I have to keep and eye on the temp so it doesn't get too high. It shouldn't be too difficult for it to maintain a 285 degree temp for bluing. I have all the stuff for home bluing except the steel tank (SS is suposed to be bad for a bluing tank). I'd even bet you could have one valve go to each burner on a twin tank setup and still reach the 285 degree mark.

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

First park & paint - Gunco.net Gallery

These are 6 x 6 x 40" tanks on the chinese three burner units. They get plenty hot

" Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.